Old Wing bow- fiberglass question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Wing bow- fiberglass question

The only recurves I've ever owned (3) have all been Red Wing Hinters. My first bow was a RWH I bought in 1968, she was restored and is my only bow that is hung in the house, with the remaining hunting arrow right under.

I bought this 54# RWH over 10 years ago, i sprayed it eith Kylon camo and shot a deer and 2 pigs- and now it hangs in my garage when if take the easy path and shoot my compound. My son said he wanted to try trad archery and has hunted with his compound for many years. I'll fletch him a dozen arrows and give it to him when we see him in Montana at Thanksgiving.

My question is what to do with what appears to be a scratch or groove in the lower limb. I don't see it spreading or splintering, and don't know if I should do something or leave it alone?

I called Bob Lee Archery and they advised to use lacquerr thinner to remove the paint and not hurt the finish and fiberglass. It cleaned up nicely, I have some before and after pictures..

Scratches?

Before and after

sweet bow

Comment

Looks good!
      I wouldn't worry about something that small.
      Unless it starts to splinter or makes a weird sound. I can tell when something is not right with my bow by listening to the sound it makes it after the release.

Comment

love my Redwing Hunter. its actually my brother's but it somehow appeared in my house and has never left

Comment

I would put some super glue in the two spots after a good cleaning. It will be as strong as the present material at the very least. You can take some sandpaper and smooth out the super glue and it will go unnoticed for the most part.

For Heaven sakes mail your son that bow, if he works hard he may be able to hunt with it this fall.

Comment

I agree with the fill with superglue.

Comment

Thanks for responses and comments. I hope it becomes a family heirloom passed down. I sent a note to Bob Lee Archery, here's what they said

Looks fine to me. I'd shoot the heck out of it.
              Thanks. It's a fun bow to shoot. I thought it was 59" from the writing on the side- they said there were 58" models like my first bow and 54"- which are not as common. I never paid it any attention since I made the Flemish twist bowstring on it so I didn't measure for a store bought string. That makes me think I should make another string before I give it to him.

Comment

I have a 3d one that the lower limb fiberglass on the target side spontaneously splintered! It was not strung and hanging on a peg in my garage and one day I saw it- and it was all splintered. My kids didn't do it- a complete mystery.

Anybody know how to re-laminate a RWH? I think both limbs have to be ground off and only the riser re-used? I have pictures I can post if I find them.

Comment

Working...
                X