Gun Safe/ Safe Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Safe/ Safe Room

I need more room for my guns and the wife wanted a storm shelter. I decided instead if buying another safe and a storm shelter that I would build a dual purpose room in the new shop/man cave.
    I started out with 3" C channel and made 2'x8' panels. I then welded 1/2 rebar on 12" centers and put in some heavy gauge expanded metal. I got access to a concrete mixer and went to work. There is 7 bags of SackCrete in each panel.

Looking good. Following along

Comment

These got heavy real quick. 7x80lbs was 560 plus metal put them some where around 650lbs each. I had to call in a few buddies but we managed to get them in.
      That's 1 in the right hand corner against the wall.

Each panel has a full weld from top to bottom where the C channel meets. I also welded 2 angle tabs on the bottom of each panel with a hole in them and sunk 3/4 in concrete anchors into the 6" slab.

Comment

Forgot to add I placed a gang box in 2 of the panels with conduit so I could have plugs in there for a dehumidifier.

Comment

I ordered a safe door from Sportsman Steel Safe Co and it has arrived. This is a full 8" fire rated door that has the frame already installed. Just slide it I'm place, level it, and weld it up.

My daughter wanted her name in the concrete

Comment

The door ship weight was 780lbs.

Comment

very nice!

Comment

What is your plan for the roof?

Comment

That oughta work.

Comment

thats pretty sweet...

Comment

Cool build. In the 3rd pic, is that the inside release bar/lever?

Comment

If you have to go into the room as a storm shelter and close the door behind you, how will you open it from the inside? Does the door have an inside handle?

Comment

wow... as long as in a tornado and such it doesnt cave in on top of you, you should be fine...

So that begs the question: Roof?

Comment

That should work!

Comment

Well the roof was a pain and I didn't take a lot of pics, but I'll try and describe it. Firs I took 2 pieces of 3" C Chanel and welded from one side to the other on the inside of the safe where the panels meet. Then I cut a 1/4" sheet of steel and cut it to the shape of the safe
                              Roughly 8'x4.5' with the angle cut off for the door side. I then slid it on top and welded it completely around on the inside of the safe. The 2 C Chanel's will help keep the top of the walks from pushing in and also support the center of the 1/4" steel. I then build a 3" C Chanel frame the same size as the 1/4 is steel and slid it on top on the 1/4 sheet. At this point I crawled into the rafters and welded it in place from the top side.
                              This is where a couple good friends came into play. They mixed the cement outside and brought it to me in 5 gallon buckets and I poured the roof.

I had some leftover sheet rock, so I filled the void between the rafters and concrete with that.

At this point it has 3" concrete walls, 3" concrete roof, 6" slab floor, and 8" fire rated door.

Comment

Working...
                              X