How Do You Make Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Make Sausage?

I'm trying to make venison sausage for the first time. I went and bought what I thought I needed, but I don't think I have a clue.

I'm making Brat and Breakfast Sausage. I purchased These Casings. The package says not to soak them, but their website says to soak them in Salt Water. Does anyone know which is correct? Also, will these casings work well for what I'm doing?

Also, how do you stuff the casings? Do you slide the entire casing over the tube or do you just do a little at a time. I'm just not sure on the logistics of stuffing the casings. Any step-by-step instructions would be helpful.

We are doing these tomorrow night!!!

Slide as much casing on the tube as you can. As far as soaking, ive never used that kind, so Im not sure, but I would think they needed a little moisture to keep from tearing. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Comment

I haven't had luck with the collagen casings try your supermarket they should have natural casings which in my opinion are easier to work with. However check the website for a number to call for customer service they should be able to tell you if the package or website is correct. Another tip is to coat the outside of the tube in pam or oil, along with the hopper to allow the meat and casings to not stick.

Comment

How did it go? I would've used hog gut casings for what you were making.

Comment

Use the natural casings. To make sausage. Let's-make-sausage.com

Directs you through the process. I've made over 50 pounds of sausage using their recipes over the past two years.

Comment

Just a suggestion, but think about doing a 80% venison to 20% beef trimmings mix...There is a seasoning made by Reo called Old German, its the best i have come across. I think Talent's in riverside might sell it. Looked them up and the website says they are based out of Huntsville. Does great for link or pan sausage. Run slow when you fill your casings...you will bust a few, but will get the feel for it. Its a good idea to keep your hands wet while you are filling them so the casings slide freely, control the casing while filling with pressure.

Comment

Working...
            X