Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raw images

Hey guys,
    Not new to the forum but very new to photography. I am teaching a photoshop class at the high school and have a couple of questions. We have a rebel xsi and afujifilm s1000fd at our disposal. I am trying to learn about .raw image files. Do either of these take raw pictures? If so how do I change the settings to take one?
    When I open them in photoshop elements 7 I thought that a raw file would open megacam? I think that is the right name.

From what I understand a raw file is just a picture that the camera does not compress based on predetermined settings, right?

Thanks for any help.

Don't know anything about the Fuji, but the XSi will shoot in RAW. RAW files are, like you say, the uncompressed data that hit the camera's sensor when the picture was taken - kinda like a film negative in a way. It's unprocessed and uncompressed pixels. Rather than letting the camera's onboard processor work on and compress the file into a JPEG image, you use computer software to "develop" the image later.

Here's some good info for you: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

Comment

Thanks for the website. I will check it out. So on the XSi, how do i change from a jpg file format to saving in a RAW file format? All I can find on the internet are reviews.

Thanks for the help

The websites that are probably related directly to the XSi are probably blocked because of being at the school
      Last edited by dhillis; 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

It's in one of the menu settings. I have an XTi, so I'm not sure if it's the same. I think it is in the picture quality setting. You can shoot RAW only or RAW + JPEG. The latter gives you the RAW file plus a camera-processed JPEG. I just shoot RAW only. It saves memory card space and I prefer to process JPEGs on my computer.

Comment

alright...thanks shane.... i am going to look into this some more tomorrow and see what I can dig up...do you happen to have a RAW file you can e-mail me so I can play with one on photoshop tomorrow till I get around to finding out this camera?

Comment

Sure, PM me your email address.

On my XTi, the "Quality" setting is in the #1 menu screen. Just push the "Menu" button on the back of the camera. There is a little Camera icon at the top with a 1 beside it. The first option below that is "Quality". Mine says RAW, but yours may say "L" or something else. Change it to "RAW" and you'll be shooting RAW files only.

Comment

Shane is correct. I have an Xsi. Note, you can't have the camera in full auto (small green square on the top wheel). The camera must be in P, TV, AV, or M mode on the top of the camera to change the camera into RAW mode. From there, hit the menu button. The first option will read Quality. It will most likely read L with a small triangle like object. Hit the set button. It will give you several options, one of which is RAW.

J

Comment

thanks guys...pm on the way

Comment

Ok. I am assuming that .cr2 is the RAW image file?

Comment

Yep. That's Canon's version of RAW. Every manufacturer has their own.

Comment

I got it...I had the camera set to take RAW image and .jpg of the same picture. Much more you can do with a RAW, but it takes up SO much space. Any tips for a first timer taking pictures?

Comment

dang shane...that was a quick response...u must spend way to much time on the green screen...

Comment

Shane, that was a great website, thanks for posting it.

I haven't shot in RAW yet, I think I am about to make the transition.

Comment

I haven't shot in RAW yet, I think I am about to make the transition.
                            You've come pretty close Hilly....just ditch the wetsuit and shoot away!

Comment

Haha, nice.

I'm stuck in the office, and I want to be taking some pics.

I don't know where or what to shoot in H-town. Blah.

Comment

Working...
                              X