Honey wheat oat bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey wheat oat bread

My great grandma passed this down to my grandma who passed it to my mom, who passed it down to me. Best bread I've ever had. This is a from scratch and in the oven recipe, not a bread machine one.

Makes 3 loaves

In large (4C+) glass microwavable measuring cup combine
    2 C milk
    1 C water
    ½ C local honey
    ¼ C shortening (I prefer the butter flavor shortening)
    1C uncooked oatmeal

Microwave the mixture for 5 minutes, stir it, put it in your mixing bowl, and mix in
    1 egg
    1Tbs salt

In a glass measuring cup, add 1/4C water and a little squirt of honey. Microwave for 10 seconds, then stir in 2 Tbs active dry yeast. Sit this to the side to froth up while you mix in the flour next.

Slowly...I said SLOWLY add
    3C unbleached bread flour
    2C whole wheat flour

Then slowly add in the yeast mixture.
    Add another 1 to 1.5 C of either flour. I usually do half and half.
    Let the mixer knead this for 5 to 10 minutes. This will let the yeast break down the gluten in the flour so it rises better.

Dump the dough on a floured surface. Knead in a little flour at a time until it stops really sticking to your fingers. Should stick just a tiny bit.

Put a little olive oil in the bottom of your mixing bowl, and roll the dough in it to coat it on all sides. Cover with saran wrap. Put it in the oven with the light on and let it rise until it comes over the top. Take it out, knead it to reduce it again, put it back in, and let it rise again. Once it's over the top, cut into 3 loaves, or rolls if you like. Put in sprayed bread pans and let them rise in the oven for 40 minutes or so. When they've risen nicely, bake on 333 for 33 minutes.

Remove and put on a cooling rack. Rub a stick of butter over the tops. Give a loaf to your neighbor...they will love you, and try not to demolish an entire loaf after it comes out of the oven yourself

Thanks going to try it out Saturday.

Comment

Gonna try this. Or you just wanna give me 1 of those 3 loafs

Comment

I'll give you a loaf...but you'll have to come over

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
          I'll give you a loaf...but you'll have to come over
          You will have to invite me

Stop working so much..

Comment

I refuse to believe that anyone's great-grandmother had a microwave!

Sounds like a good one to try out. Thanks for passing it along.

Comment

Haha good catch. Somewhere it was probably changed from set on wood burning stove. I also doubt great grandma had a kitchen aid

Comment

Working...
              X