smoked vs fresh sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoked vs fresh sausage?

What are your opinions on making fresh sausage (not smoked or cured) instead of the traditional smoked?

I have a hard time getting all geared up for deer sausage when I know that making it is only half of the work - then I have to tend a smoker, too.

Just wondering if anyone has found a fresh (in casing) recipe that will save me from always having to cure/smoke sausage.

I'm plannin on doin about 6lbs of summer sausage and 3lbs of fresh sausage/brats tonight. I figure you get the best of both worlds.

Comment

We always do a little of each with ours. Use same recipe for both, but might add a little more MSG for the unsmoked. I like the smoked for cooking with and to boil. And the unsmoked is good on the grill, cause it gets smoke there.

Comment

I always have 2/3 fresh and 1/3 smoked. My fresh sausage consist of 60%deer/40% pork along with jalapeno and green onions mixed. When sealed in food saver bags it last 12-14 months no problem. I use the fresh for grilling, smothered in a gravy on top of rice, and mixed along with smoked sausage in a gumbo.

Comment

I prefer fresh. I don't ever smoke mine.

Comment

We never smoke ours either.

Comment

I like it smoked but a buddy of mine makes fresh and just cooks it on the grill.

Comment

I like it smoked.

Comment

I make both. Fresh Hot Italian links, boudin and brats.
                  Pecan smoked bohemian links & summer.

Comment

I love both!
                    That change...

Comment

LuckTXToo.. i sent you a pm

Comment

If I'm grilling my sausage I would rather freeze it fresh. No need for smoking it since you are getting the smoke flavor from the grill. I like a little smoke on sausage that I boil.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I guess I just got into a rut with my sausage making process.

Comment

Working...
                          X