Setting up 6 yo with bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up 6 yo with bow

im looking to get my son a pse mini burner for his birthday coming up. he will be 6 but is also on the smaller side. the mini burner comes with a 29# draw but I think I will go all the way down to 4#. My question is should I set him up with a release or finger on the string?

Go w a crossbow. If he wants to actually hunt a crossbow will be better for him till he gets big enough to actually shoot a real bow. My kids had little bear brand toyish bows, now we re on crossbows w them. My sons 8 and full blown gets his own tree now. He actually got a shot off w his crossbow at a public deer this yr. He missed but it was his first chance to go at a deer. It was awesome to watch.

Comment

Set him up with a release so he doesn't have to relearn later.. he will want to shoot like dad anyway.. they make kids releases..

Comment

Definitely a release. That was one of my kiddos favorite parts of learning. He loves it!

Comment

My son is seven and I got him a diamond atomic and he loves it we practice a lot though and he’s up to a 30lb draw so we went to our local bow shop and got him some hunting arrows and some 85 grn magnus stingers just waiting on a chance at a hog

Comment

My son is now 10 but started with a cheaper Barrett Tomcat bow shooting fingers. We then moved to Bear Cruz Lite around 8 along with a release which changed everything. Within a few months he was hitting 20yrd consistently (some days really good and others we should have just thrown a baseball). I would have started sooner if I had known a release would have made such a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
              im looking to get my son a pse mini burner for his birthday coming up. he will be 6 but is also on the smaller side. the mini burner comes with a 29# draw but I think I will go all the way down to 4#. My question is should I set him up with a release or finger on the string?
              My son started with a mini burner at 4. He is almost 6 now. I let him shoot for 6-8 months with fingers, no peep, no sight, etc. As he started increasing his draw weight and his form got better, we started adding a release, then a D-loop, then a peep and sights. He will be 6 soon, and he is up to 21# draw.

For hunting, he is set-up with a crossbow. He enjoys shooting his "real bow" at home more though. Once his draw weight is high enough, and I feel confidient in his ability, I will start letting him hunt with his mini burner for pigs.

Comment

My son was shooting a Diamond Nuclear Ice at 4-5yrs old and was smoking pigs with it at 7. I may have one of those still. Ill check and let you know. They are cool bows for small kids. Small framed bow and light weight!He shot fingers first then went to a release after about a year.
                Last edited by ShaBow; 04-19-2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X