Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default New Mexico camping/hiking for a pudgy 40 yr old & 11 yr old

Planning a trip the high country with my son this summer. Looking for camping and hiking recommendations. Not necessarily looking for back country trails or camping, in fact I think it would be preferable to have neighboring tents and kids around for evening, but then hit some less travelled trails during the day.

Here is the purpose. Itís a bit of coming of age sort of deal. I want this trip to challenge my son mentally and physically. At the end, I want him to realize he is capable of more than he thinks he is. I think this is an important lesson as he heads into jr high.

Iíve been looking at trails around Red River. Specifically Lost Lake. 10+ mi hike with pretty decent ascent, 2300 ft I think, that culminates with an alpine lake stocked with native cutthroat.

But Iím open to other suggestions for day hikes that will stretch him and provide a reward for his effort
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Have you looked into the gila national Forest? We went there during a boyscout trip when I was a freshman in highschool and it was a great trip had some moderate hikes as well as some much harder hikes if that is what you are looking for.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

If you aren't set on NM then Guadalupe Peak right on the border is an awesome hike.

It's close to Carlsbad caverns too
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

I’ve hiked lost lake twice and is a hell of a hike, scenery is great but I’ve never caught fish up there. You can see them in the lake though
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
If you aren't set on NM then Guadalupe Peak right on the border is an awesome hike.

It's close to Carlsbad caverns too
Iím not set on NM, but I ainít going to Gualupe in Aug. I want afternoon showers and 40 degrees at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2014 View Post
Iíve hiked lost lake twice and is a hell of a hike, scenery is great but Iíve never caught fish up there. You can see them in the lake though
Hell of a hike as in hard/challenging or great hike & scenery?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Planning a trip the high country with my son this summer. Looking for camping and hiking recommendations. Not necessarily looking for back country trails or camping, in fact I think it would be preferable to have neighboring tents and kids around for evening, but then hit some less travelled trails during the day.

Here is the purpose. Itís a bit of coming of age sort of deal. I want this trip to challenge my son mentally and physically. At the end, I want him to realize he is capable of more than he thinks he is. I think this is an important lesson as he heads into jr high.

Iíve been looking at trails around Red River. Specifically Lost Lake. 10+ mi hike with pretty decent ascent, 2300 ft I think, that culminates with an alpine lake stocked with native cutthroat.

But Iím open to other suggestions for day hikes that will stretch him and provide a reward for his effort
I did the same thing with my son. Stewart Lake from Cowles NM. Start at Windsor Ridge TH. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
3whunt
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

My son is at ranch camp this week in Johnson city doing just that. I preferred to send him somewhere I’m not allowed. He’ll grow up a touch and be around kids and others for a week. We’ve done the family/dad thing since he was a baby. He’s old enough now to adventure out on his own (11 year old with supervision of course). At that age there are multiple camps for him to cut his teeth. He’ll be better for it. So will I.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
bakin7005
Ten Point

Few pics. Not that difficult trail. Absolutely gorgeous though.Name:  20170807_093634.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  82.7 KBName:  20170806_082439.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  102.7 KBName:  20170807_091819.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  63.2 KB

Old 06-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

My son and I did middle fork two summers ago. Same starting point as lost lake- just shorter. Challenging but very doable. My family is a big fan of Red River. Plenty of other trails, good fishing, neat little mountain town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Iím not set on NM, but I ainít going to Gualupe in Aug. I want afternoon showers and 40 degrees at night.
Well I've always been told my 9s look like 4s..
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #12
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whunt View Post
My son is at ranch camp this week in Johnson city doing just that. I preferred to send him somewhere Iím not allowed. Heíll grow up a touch and be around kids and others for a week. Weíve done the family/dad thing since he was a baby. Heís old enough now to adventure out on his own (11 year old with supervision of course). At that age there are multiple camps for him to cut his teeth. Heíll be better for it. So will I.
We are going to have some conversations about what to expect in jr high. Boys jockeying for position in the herd (fighting), girls, Internet content, and peer pressure and substance abuse. Figure around a campfire or on a single track trail are about the best places in the world to have those conversations
Old 06-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
easeup
Ten Point

Lost Lake is a good choice you selected.
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
3whunt
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Quote:
We are going to have some conversations about what to expect in jr high. Boys jockeying for position in the herd (fighting), girls, Internet content, and peer pressure and substance abuse. Figure around a campfire or on a single track trail are about the best places in the world to have those conversations
Yessir. Iíll applaud that. We do the Sam at deer camp. With a dad like you Iím sure heíll be just fine!
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
JEG8233
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caldwell County and New Mexico

I’d look at the Gila. Snow lake to the middle fork and back around through the meadows to snow lake. Great scenery and the trails not to bad. Or you can do the loop from TJ’s corral which is a great 4 day hike.

https://youtu.be/e7alUMY5Pu4

Last edited by JEG8233; 06-11-2019 at 10:08 PM.
JEG8233 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
Retodd
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
I did the same thing with my son. Stewart Lake from Cowles NM. Start at Windsor Ridge TH. You won't be disappointed.

Agreed. They caught a lot of snow this winter so that could add some challenges to the hike.
Retodd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #17
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:

You have my attention! That is an hour closer than RR. Iíll have to do some research.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #18
bakin7005
Ten Point

Just PM me for details if you want..We drove up and stayed the night in Las Vegas (NM) then drove to Cowles early next morning. Stewart Lake is loaded with trout. You can also take a day hike from Stewart over to Lake Katherine while there and maybe try to bag Santa Fe Baldy but that's a challenging all day affair. Going to Katherine isn't bad but the peak is a challenge.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #19
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just PM me for details if you want..We drove up and stayed the night in Las Vegas (NM) then drove to Cowles early next morning. Stewart Lake is loaded with trout. You can also take a day hike from Stewart over to Lake Katherine while there and maybe try to bag Santa Fe Baldy but that's a challenging all day affair. Going to Katherine isn't bad but the peak is a challenge.

Man Iím really liking what Iím finding on Cowles Campground. This looks really nice, probably not terribly crowded either
Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #20
ladrones
Pope & Young

The Pecos is a beautiful place to camp and explore. I was fortunate enough to have to do some work up where the cowles hits the pecos years ago. I always loved working up there. I kept an ultralight spinning rig in my work truck for lunch breaks.

Should be a fun trip.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top