CPA question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPA question.

I plan on talking to my CPA, but thought I'd ask here, too. I'm retired. I took a part time job at a ranch. I am working off a W9. Independent contractor. The ranch is 240 miles round trip.
    Can my mileage be written off for each trip, or do I have to have a "Company"?

Thanks!
    Lesto!!

Technically, the only way your commuting mileage can be deductible is if you can justify and establish a home office. Then, it is viewed that you are traveling between office locations, which can be deducted. You can do this as a sole proprietor, and do not need to get incorporated just for that deduction.

Comment

Yes as a contractor you can write off any mileage when you leave the house.

Comment

As a 'contractor' you are self-employed and can claim mileage deduction as much as it pertains to your work. You will need verifiable/written proof for IRS.

Comment

Pickup some feed on the way home and store it for safe keeping at your house until the next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I do contract work in Alaska but am based out of Houston. Mom is a 25 year and counting IRS auditor and tells me I can not deduct flights even though they are to and from work 2-3 times a year. Something something amount of money I make vs price of flights. What I got out of it was it has to be a certain % of your income, and with the price of gas I'd say you probably can.

Comment

It’s a commute to work, unless you stop for business on the way. Any business counts, but you better document it.

Comment

This was my understanding as well, cannot be deducted due to commute. I would recommend a CPA to confirm.

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                It’s a commute to work, unless you stop for business on the way. Any business counts, but you better document it.

Comment

I put Joe Bidens IRS on notice about some shyster trying to pull a scam taking tax deduction on a "job" that leads to hunting a fishing opportunities.

Classic scam. You are going to jail.
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Keep a travel log Les. Every single time you go....add date, starting, and ending mileage. Do it every single time and don't put it off. When you put it off, you will start scratching your head trying to remember all the times that you used mileage. If you get audited, they definitely want to see Travel Log.

Don't ask me how I know

Comment

Working...
                    X