Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

Default Property Taxes

Just received mine in the mail yesterday. WOW. I thought there was a limit on how much your valuation could go up in a year. My home value rose $75k!, and I did not make any improvements. I will have to go in and fight it. Burnet County fellas, it is driving me crazy.
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

I’m in shock!
Mine went up $400,000!
I’m hiring an attorney today!
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
Walker
Pope & Young

Do some research and find a service to fight for you in your area. A good company is well worth it and will get a much bigger reduction than you can get on your own. I don't know who we used but they saved us a little over $2000 on a $9300 tax bill.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

If there are homes in your area selling during this inflated market it will drive your value up regardless of no improvements made to your property. Let’s Go Brandon.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman where there is no deer

Need to start fighting the tax rate.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
67olds442
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Mine went up $180,000 in Travis County. It's going to be hard to argue.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:49 AM   #7
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
Just received mine in the mail yesterday. WOW. I thought there was a limit on how much your valuation could go up in a year. My home value rose $75k!, and I did not make any improvements. I will have to go in and fight it. Burnet County fellas, it is driving me crazy.
Appraised value can go up without limits. Taxable value can only go up 10% with homestead exemption, but must be in place for a full calendar year.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #8
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Do some research and find a service to fight for you in your area. A good company is well worth it and will get a much bigger reduction than you can get on your own. I don't know who we used but they saved us a little over $2000 on a $9300 tax bill.
A good company may be, but in my experience it is not going to be your typical $300-400 job, a homeowner can do a far better job than those companies.

To truly fight it requires hours of preparation on the homeowners side and a law company setting up an individual fight for you.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:05 AM   #9
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

My place in bastrop county went from $478k last year to $1.37million this year. 68 acres Raw land, no improvements. *** over…
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #10
CTR0022
Ten Point

Just curious what defenses are being used to fight the increases?

To me it is clear as day home values have significantly increased as people are paying way over asking price. It appears to me the appraisals are likely properly supported by the significant increase in home prices over the last couple years.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #11
67olds442
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post

To me it is clear as day home values have significantly increased as people are paying way over asking price. It appears to me the appraisals are likely properly supported by the significant increase in home prices over the last couple years.
This is correct and my appraised value is still less than what I can sell my home for.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #12
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

up $140K from last year....and according to multiple realtors still about $200k from what it would bring on the market.....

Cant fight that at all...
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #13
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

When the property selling within a mile is over 2million for 130 acres its going to get stupid. My kids got quotes on building a barndo about the same as my cousins. First one was 750k and second 1mil. This should be 200-250k max build. Look at what your house is insured for right now and see if that even comes close to covering cost to rebuild. Im in Waller County, dang subdivision coming in snatching up land like hotcakes and paying a lot for it.
Best way forward I see is replace property taxes with something else so everyone can pay it.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #14
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

My land value doubled also. There is a subdivision of 6 lots 10-12 acres across the county road from me. Listed at $28-30k per acre. One has sold and another couple are pending. No houses on them yet, but I am sure they are going to be high priced and it will drive my value up and my taxes up also.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #15
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county
Default Property Taxes

I live in one of the smallest homes in my neighborhood, but when homes around you are selling for 1/2-3/4 million they seem to think my little 2000sqft 3/2 is worth a lot of money.

I am fighting mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #16
44mAG
Ten Point

My 20 acres went from $98K to $360K. Wow!! But, hard to argue when people are buying land for a lot more than that all around.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #17
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

35 acres of raw land about 1/2 a mile from me is currently pending for over a million........ I'm sure to another developer
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #18
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I live in one of the smallest homes in my neighborhood, but when homes around you are selling for 1/2-3/4 million they seem to think my little 2000sqft 3/2 is worth a lot of money.

I am fighting mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We just had two neighbors just sell for $600k & 800k for scrapers/ tear downs on 2 acres both replaced with new buildings
I am dreading this year’s taxes! But welcome to Kendall county
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #19
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear82 View Post
Maybe people will finally wake up.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #20
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

I have been awake, but it is very hard to fight city hall so to speak. They do not take no for an answer. I will fight this again, and if necessary take it to the next level and spend the money to do it. It is ridiculous. I(we) will never outright own our property if this continues.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #21
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post

Is your home in a "ready to sell" state?

Foundation issues or the appearance of?
Fence subpar, need repair, need stain?
Do the walls need paint?
Difference in view? Difference in lot layout or size?
Does your bathroom/kitchen/flooring need a remodel to look like recently sold houses?
Compare appliances, countertops, flooring.

Get quotes for anything and everything to bring your house up to the ones being sold. Remodels are crazy $ these days and will help give evidence to lower your value.

You must fight with pictures, quotes, analysis, not emotions.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #22
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear82 View Post
this is the real path we need to be on.

we cannot lay a strong defense against appraisals when homes around us have sold for those amounts or more in the last 12 months.

but when the county is seeing a 50% increase in valuations that should trigger a reduction in the rate. therefore mitigating our tax bill.
it is not like we are suddenly seeing an increase in services or value equivalent to the 50% or more increase in valuations.
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #23
dhall1414
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
Is your home in a "ready to sell" state?

Foundation issues or the appearance of?
Fence subpar, need repair, need stain?
Do the walls need paint?
Difference in view? Difference in lot layout or size?
Does your bathroom/kitchen/flooring need a remodel to look like recently sold houses?
Compare appliances, countertops, flooring.

Get quotes for anything and everything to bring your house up to the ones being sold. Remodels are crazy $ these days and will help give evidence to lower your value.

You must fight with pictures, quotes, analysis, not emotions.
i brought all this up with pictures a few years ago when i fought mine. i showed her the letter of the law saying that the valuation has to take into account things that would be a factor in an unpressured sale. the lady from the county appraisal district just flew past the pictures i'd provided in a powerpoint and dismissed my point saying the appraisal board never agrees with that. how TF do they get off "not agreeing" with Texas law?! when she said that to me in the meeting i didn't really know how to respond other than reiterating that that's not what the law says. but before we could go further on that topic she found where i'd included a foundation inspection showing repair being recommended. at that point she actually reduced the appraisal to lower than what i was asking for, so happy ending i guess?
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #24
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall1414 View Post
i brought all this up with pictures a few years ago when i fought mine. i showed her the letter of the law saying that the valuation has to take into account things that would be a factor in an unpressured sale. the lady from the county appraisal district just flew past the pictures i'd provided in a powerpoint and dismissed my point saying the appraisal board never agrees with that. how TF do they get off "not agreeing" with Texas law?! when she said that to me in the meeting i didn't really know how to respond other than reiterating that that's not what the law says. but before we could go further on that topic she found where i'd included a foundation inspection showing repair being recommended. at that point she actually reduced the appraisal to lower than what i was asking for, so happy ending i guess?
1st step work with appraisal district
Consider this worthless

2nd step take it to protest ARB, review board(local citizens)
Consider this worthwhile, free and easy. Honestly goes a long way.

3rd step take it to Texas Board arbitration
Only consider this if you think the county is corrupt or you have unusual evidence, ~$500, refundable if you "win"
Old 04-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #25
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Appraised value can go up without limits. Taxable value can only go up 10% with homestead exemption, but must be in place for a full calendar year.
Also this is only on Homestead exemption and must be primary residence.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #26
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

My personal house went up $400k. My 3 houses in Galveston went up $200k each! Freakin Crazy! I thought 10% was the max they could go up!
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #27
jay07ag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina & Gonzales Counties, TX; SW Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post

we cannot lay a strong defense against appraisals when homes around us have sold for those amounts or more in the last 12 months.

but when the county is seeing a 50% increase in valuations that should trigger a reduction in the rate. therefore mitigating our tax bill.
it is not like we are suddenly seeing an increase in services or value equivalent to the 50% or more increase in valuations.
How do we the John Q. Public go about doing this? "Call your local representative" I'm assuming?
jay07ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #28
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

We will never have a tax break here in Boerne’s school district or the city ETJ , both
Have 100’s of millions in bond in this coming election, $$ already spent, some taxes are coming

To add insult to injury, the tax appraisal district gave buc-ees a tax abatement for 10+ years on theirs new place

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-21-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #29
dhall1414
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Quote:

the property tax system we have is susceptible to being torn apart by a postive feedback loop, which we're now in. local govt is incentivized to have higher property values to produce higher tax revenues, and they also control the levers of govt to make it happen via special tax exemptions and whatnot.

my rose-scented 2 cents: do whatever it takes to keep companies like blackrock and vanguard from owning massive percentages of the real estate market. hell there's already a strong case for triggering monopoly and antitrust actions against them. also make it illegal for non-resident foreigners from owning real estate outright, until they start living on it at least.

ideally though we really need to do away with property taxes levied against people. at the end of the day if you don't pay property taxes the govt will take it away, so in reality we don't own it so much as we're paying rent to the govt use it.

i'm thinking businesses should keep paying property taxes, at least at first. and instead of generating property taxes from homeowners start taxing companies that create/track/trade in personal data. stuff like grocery stores tracking purchases via rewards programs, or companies collecting and selling mailing lists, but especially social media companies that directly monetize your content for targeted ads and whatnot. we already know there is a huge market for this personalized data, all we have to do is apply standards that already exist for other similar products (like biofuel credits) and incorporate a blockchain style proof of ownership and chain of custody. it's likely we could also severely reduce the frequency and impact of identity thefts by doing this as well.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #30
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Unfortunately, we are all going to get hammered due to the all of the crazy priced home sales over the last couple of years. The houses in our neighborhood sold for crazy money, but we were not ready to move just yet. This is the one thing I keep telling my wife.. if/when we sell & move it has to be to a lower taxed area, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #31
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:

There will never be a reduction in the property tax rate with out some other form of tax revenue, which will likely be texas implementing a state income tax.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #32
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

That does it im going to find a free travel trailer to put in my neighbors front yard to lower my property value
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 11:24 AM   #33
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

You need to protest whether it does at good or not. TheY look at the number of people who are protesting to use as one of the gauges to see how much push back they are getting. I did just say only one of the gauges.
Get involved in some manner of the appraisal review board or board of directors for the appraisal districts. These are appointed positions is my understanding. At least in my small county and I would assume it is the same in other districts.

Last edited by tps7742; 04-21-2022 at 11:27 AM.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #34
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
My place in bastrop county went from $478k last year to $1.37million this year. 68 acres Raw land, no improvements. *** over…
That’s $ 20,147.06 per acre!!!!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 11:39 AM   #35
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
That’s only $ 20,147.06 per acre!!!!
FIFY
It’s about $40,000-120k depending on size around here
Old 04-21-2022, 11:50 AM   #36
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Does anyone have a good company they have used in Travis County to fight property taxes? Does the company even need to be county specific? Got my first appraisal on our new house yesterday and it was just as bad as I expected it to be.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #37
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

I've never understood why my taxes should go up because my property value does. My property value increasing doesn't make me a dime and doesn't cost the county a dime unless I sell it. That's when I should pay the tax increase, when I sell. Otherwise, it should not cost me anymore til then. It's thievery! Plain and simple
Oh, and there should be some HUGE county improvements with all this extra income they're getting. But we'll probably only see some HUGE salary increases

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by rolylane6; 04-21-2022 at 11:53 AM.
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #38
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
I’m in Burnet County, mine up over 95k. The last three years have been murder!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #39
TransPecos
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

I have found the ARB to be a pretty rubber-stamp procedure. They’ll knock off $20 or $30K and hope you feel like you won something. Binding arbitration is where the meat is; I have taken both Bexar and Comal counties to binding arbitration and whooped them both. It is a lot of work and time, but getting a check back refunding overpaid taxes is a nice feeling.

The comps this year are tough.
TransPecos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #40
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell County, Limpopo South Africa

This can be a killer on retired folks with a set, limited income. Have not received ours yet, but I am dreading it.

Just surfing the net, I have seen our home valued from 650,000 to over 1 million on some of the realtor sights! That would be close to double and almost triple the price we paid for this house in 2020!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #41
Ishi&Elvis
Eight Point

How did you win Trans Pecos? I have seen on here before that the appraisal district hates to go to binding arbitration. Fill us in please.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #42
RedYote
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Crazy thing is being happy yours only went up 10%!
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #43
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

there is a rent house here that went from $209k to $377k on the tax roll. you think that rent will go up...? this is beyond ridiculous.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #44
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
This.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #45
Blownshelby
Six Point

Quote:
I have been awake, but it is very hard to fight city hall so to speak. They do not take no for an answer. I will fight this again, and if necessary take it to the next level and spend the money to do it. It is ridiculous. I(we) will never outright own our property if this continues.
Got sad news for you-You will never OWN “your” property. The regulating authorities can take (or price you out of) “your” property for a number of reasons, you are just renting.
Blownshelby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #46
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

ours went up to over $200k more than a what we paid to have it built last year. Only thing I can say is we (TEXANS) need to all start working together to try and fix this issue. Many people will be taxed out of their homes much sooner than later at this current trend. Me being one of those people if my taxes continue to keep rising like they are. and I have 25 years until I can lock my taxes in........thats a hard pill to swallow for me!
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #47
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Non elected people in charge of taxation is NEVER a good or even reasonable thing. Our elected official's way to pass the buck. Need a new state Constitutional amendment. Oh I almost forgot, $200,000.00 increase for me in Montgomery county. Dang thieves!

I purchased my house for less than that!

Last edited by E.TX.BOWHUNTER; 04-21-2022 at 01:30 PM.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #48
Txhunter3000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

What about 1st time home buyers, I don't see how they will be able to ever own a home.
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #49
Eastwood
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
That’s $ 20,147.06 per acre!!!!
My parents have raw land with highway frontage in Bastrop county. It just got upped to 40,000 an acre.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #50
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
My parents have raw land with highway frontage in Bastrop county. It just got upped to 40,000 an acre.
wonder what would happen if Texans as a whole just decided not to pay property taxes? the appraisal districts blame the state and the state says they have no control over the appraisal districts so..............lets just get rid of property taxes all together.
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top