Majek 25 Illusion vs 24 Reaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on the difference between these two boats? Reaper looks to be a knock-off from a different manufacturer.

Reaper is an older SCB mold

Comment

Originally posted by marlinboy33 View Post
      Reaper is an older SCB mold
      Yep. Trying to see who has fished both in rougher water. Lots of boats can go shallow - not may are dry

Comment

The reaper is smoother for sure in choppy water. Quite frankly the illusion sucks in a chop. About the only thing the 25’ illusion beats in a chop is the 22’ illusion. LOL

But I was running 25’ xtremes for 11 years for comparison and there are only a handful bay boats that are better than the 25’ xtreme in crappy water.

Comment

If you value your teeth or kidneys I'd stay away from the illusion. Don't know much about the reaper.

Comment

Reaper of those 2, but I’d expand my search. Mowdy C23 or C 25 would get a deep look if I was looking in that size range and was really concerned with ride. JH and Haynie would be on the list too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He’s also added a Dargel 250 cat to the list.

Comment

Illusion and rough water simply do not mix well.

Comment

I’ve been on both in rough water. The reaper handles it a little better but I prefer the 25 illusion overall.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                    I’ve been on both in rough water. The reaper handles it a little better but I prefer the 25 illusion overall.

This.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                      He’s also added a Dargel 250 cat to the list.

The Dargel rides good, but handles like a barge IMO.

Comment

Ok, first let’s level set. Illusions are built for a purpose, a very specific purpose. In that they excel beyond almost every other boat available. You give up a lot to get that shallow water performance. The 25’ does much better in rough chop than the 23’ but you still have to learn to drive it a certain way and the good part is you can run shallow and take shortcuts that will generally be smooth. They are not smooth in chop, they are freakish in shallow water.

I have never seen a reaper in person but as others have mentioned I’m told it’s an older scb mold from before shallow sport purchased the original scb company.

And the extreme is a bass boat hull with a center console…it’s ok in chop….

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                          Ok, first let’s level set. Illusions are built for a purpose, a very specific purpose. In that they excel beyond almost every other boat available. You give up a lot to get that shallow water performance. The 25’ does much better in rough chop than the 23’ but you still have to learn to drive it a certain way and the good part is you can run shallow and take shortcuts that will generally be smooth. They are not smooth in chop, they are freakish in shallow water.

I have never seen a reaper in person but as others have mentioned I’m told it’s an older scb mold from before shallow sport purchased the original scb company.

And the extreme is a bass boat hull with a center console…it’s ok in chop….

The 22 xtreme was off a bass boat. The 25 was not.

Comment

Between the two, Reaper is way, way, way better in the chop. Particularly at keeping you dry. It’s extremely similar to the hull of an Scb Recon. Illusion may be slightly shallower, but not by a ton. Reaper is faster, smoother, drier, steers better without sliding, and is plenty shallow for most sane people.

My understanding is Eric Simmons was building the RC-24 after Shallowsport bought SCB. Shallowsport sued because it was the exact mold they had just bought (recon/R-24) and ESCB had to quit building it. So they sold the mold to Majek, who made just enough tweaks as to not infringe on the Recon.

Comment

Working...
                            X