Chestnut trees and others in East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chestnut trees and others in East Texas

My buddy recently purchased 500 acres of trinity river bottom land. Looking to add some trees to the property. I’m really interested in chestnuts. Any information on growing them in this region?? As well I’m wondering what type of persimmons to go with? Tons of oaks on his place so that will be the last thing we supplement. Thanks for any information. Walker county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted some chestnuts from wildlifegroup.com. They "breed" trees for wildlife. I've had great luck with pear, hardly any with the apple, or crabapple. The au brand chestnuts did better than the rest. They're 3 years old, about 7' tall, and this is the first year they've put out chestnuts. Their japanese persimmon have done the best out of all of them. One year and they're about 12' tall.

We have the worst soil, black gumbo clay. I did use the tree tubes.

Comment

Do a search and you will find a few threads.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=chestnuts is one

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=chestnuts is another

I would do a soil test first to see what will/won't work in your location, as well as what fertilizer to use. Good luck and keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        Do a search and you will find a few threads.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=chestnuts is one

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=chestnuts is another

I would do a soil test first to see what will/won't work in your location, as well as what fertilizer to use. Good luck and keep us updated!

I found some after I posted. Thank you. I will keep update

Comment

From the research I did when I was trying to figure out what trees to plant, it seemed like chestnuts were the way to go, but my place was too far west. I didn't have much success, but that's not saying I was doing things correctly, and I am going to try again. I would get with your county soil or NRCS department and see what they would suggest. Also, just a heads up, be thinking about how you are going to water the trees for the first year or so (I wouldn't rely on Mother Nature). Look into local nurseries where you can buy established trees from as well. A 5 or 10 gallon tree has a huge head start to a seedling. I would for sure put a net wire fence and one T-post minimum around the new trees to protect them from deer/hogs/cattle. Holler if you have any questions, glad to help. It's somewhat a slippery slope, and I have spent a lot more than I originally planned, but it's fun. Just think 'vertical food plot!'

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
            From the research I did when I was trying to figure out what trees to plant, it seemed like chestnuts were the way to go, but my place was too far west. I didn't have much success, but that's not saying I was doing things correctly, and I am going to try again. I would get with your county soil or NRCS department and see what they would suggest. Also, just a heads up, be thinking about how you are going to water the trees for the first year or so (I wouldn't rely on Mother Nature). Look into local nurseries where you can buy established trees from as well. A 5 or 10 gallon tree has a huge head start to a seedling. I would for sure put a net wire fence and one T-post minimum around the new trees to protect them from deer/hogs/cattle. Holler if you have any questions, glad to help. It's somewhat a slippery slope, and I have spent a lot more than I originally planned, but it's fun. Just think 'vertical food plot!'

Yeah I’m probably going to go with a more established chestnut as they are so hard. He has a ton of persimmons as well as oaks naturally. So I may be looking into the pear trees. Looking to add something to the wheat fields he has going. I’ll update as I go. Ive been looking back onto a few threads with some success of it.

Comment

Planted 5 sapling chestnut trees in houston county two years ago. only 2 have survived and have not grown at all. from what i can gather the trick is to water them weekly and fertilize after the first year. also add mulch around the tree but leave a gap of a couple inches between the mulch and the tree.

of the three that died, 2 had too much direct sunlight which dried the roots out and the other was eaten by a deer that pushed down the chicken wire surrounding the sapling so a strong wire cage around the trees is necessary.

anyway, good luck

Comment

I think a lot depends on the soil type. Looks like the American Chestnut wants a more sandy loam with good drainage but enough organics to hold moisture. Looks like the Chinese Chestnut is hardy to zone 8 and can handle different types of soil.

For the OP have you thought of planting a few Chinkapins and a couple of Chestnuts (Chinese or American). That way you could have a variety and see which ones grow best. I bet the Chinkapins would have sweet nuts to draw in critters.

I'm moving to a new house around Hillsboro and have 3 acres to play with. I was thinking if I augment the soil (clay) with some good organics and pecan shells (helps with Ph) it might help them start growing. I have an auger attachment so was thinking of drilling at least one hole as deep as I can go and then back fill it with the augmented soil and then plant.

Comment

Hey contact Terrance Jackson
                  He and I planted chestnut trees few year back from sapling. They over 10ft and produced lots fruit. Have beware of blithe disease. We belongs to chestnut society (may go to website). Our trees drop nuts round time pecan start. We then take few and plant them back directly in ground.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                    I think a lot depends on the soil type. Looks like the American Chestnut wants a more sandy loam with good drainage but enough organics to hold moisture. Looks like the Chinese Chestnut is hardy to zone 8 and can handle different types of soil.

For the OP have you thought of planting a few Chinkapins and a couple of Chestnuts (Chinese or American). That way you could have a variety and see which ones grow best. I bet the Chinkapins would have sweet nuts to draw in critters.

I'm moving to a new house around Hillsboro and have 3 acres to play with. I was thinking if I augment the soil (clay) with some good organics and pecan shells (helps with Ph) it might help them start growing. I have an auger attachment so was thinking of drilling at least one hole as deep as I can go and then back fill it with the augmented soil and then plant.
                    Chinkapins would have sweet nuts. We have those and the deer love them. I eat few in salads. Mic America chestnut in ground peatmoss(hold moisture) mulch around older trees. If small trees put fence around them as deer gonna rub heck out them and kill. I have gotten few nuts from the courthouse in Palestine TX. Direct seed some and potted some in mixture pot soil & peat

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X