"Old" Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    My PSE compound is a 2002 era 'Team Primos' model, still throws heavy hunting carbons at 230 fps more accurately than I can shoot it. I do maintain it and changed the strings/cables with Winners Choice on it now.

The PSE seems brand-new compared to my hunting recurve, a Red Wing Hunter made around 1973-74. I keep it strung all the time 'just in case' I need it.

On a budget, when I think about a new bow, I ask if I'm willing to trade my annual elk hunt for a new, tricked out bow. No.

I still have that bow. After not shooting it for 11 years (bought an Elite Judge in 2011 I still shoot) it still shot well. My new backup bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When this thread started I was shooting a 2002 Hoyt Magnatech. Yesterday I was practicing with the same bow. Guess I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

Comment

In 2008 I was shooting a 2001 Q2. In 2022 I'm still shooting the 2001 Q2.

Comment

Mathews Z7 I bought used here 10 years ago

Comment

I have been on an older bow binge lately. Just picked up a 2004 Hoyt Xtec. A copy of my first high end bow (it might even be my original). I’m looking for a drenlin. It’s kinda neat to be able to buy all my dream bows from back when for 100-200 each today. They seem fast and still in the game.

I will say I gutted the XTEC. Pulled the strings off. Unscrewed everything and I could tell it was originally coated in white lithium grease. The original grease was dust and crusty. It was way past time for a strip down. After cleaning the wheel tracks and limb pockets. Applying new grease and cleaning out all the gunk… it’s almost ready to be back in action. Just waiting on Vapor Trail.

Wild that I have a new v3x here and I’m more excited to shoot ole girl.

Can’t wait !

If you have a bow that’s 15 years plus … take it apart. The grease and limb pockets need love. I know some are sealed. I know some are working great. This one was shooting arrows, but behind the scenes it was in trouble. The plastic rockers were cracked. The grease was gone. Easy fix. WD-40 is not the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
              I guess my Switchback XT is considered old now

I have shot newer bows but don't see enough out of them to change.
              This, I started out with a Jennings carbon master bow. Shot my first buck with it and when the switchback xt hit I sold that bow and went with the xt. The xt was twice the bow that one was. I recall shooting it and going, this is all I’ll ever need.
              I was tempted once or twice to chase a thought of upgrading it because I got caught up in the hype. I just could never see the point though.

Comment

"Old" Equipment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                I missed this thread when Casey posted it. I was shooting a 2000 Mathews Q2 at the time. I think I also had a shoulder injury when this thread was posted. And bought a Parker youth Buckshot 30-40lb cause that's all I could draw when 2008 season started, after a full summer of physical therapy. I did work my way back up to the Q2 by the end of that season; abet only 60 lbs. Bought a Elite Judge in 2010. And a second used Judge in 2012. Still have a 1978 Indian with hangers and wheels. I've also added two Used DXTs to the collection. And two new X-bows. I just like shoot-n stuff.

You have a picture of that Indian? That was my first bow and right around the same time ….

I have a pic of my Dad with it before he gave it to me. .. I think it was 50lbs…

Comment

Started with a Bear Whitetail 2. Graduated to a Mountaineer 3D Hunter which was the first 80-85 % let off I had ever tried. Years later I joined the cam bow revolution with a Bowtech Captain. I now own a Mathew’s V3X and it will be my last bow I’m sure.

Comment

I started with a Bear kit bow. I could loop those arrows into any spot on the target. I killed my first buck with it and then bought a Pearson. Customer gave me a brand new Switchback XT and I can’t see upgrading as it shoots perfect for me. Very smooth and accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Still have a 1978 Indian with hangers and wheels. I've also added two Used DXTs to the collection. And two new X-bows. I just like shoot-n stuff.

Here's my Indian from the late 70s... Dad used it for this one hunt at the YO and gave it to me. Hasn't picked up a bow since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad Bow.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	24688820

Comment

Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
                        I guess my Switchback XT is considered old now

I have shot newer bows but don't see enough out of them to change.
                        Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                        This, I started out with a Jennings carbon master bow. Shot my first buck with it and when the switchback xt hit I sold that bow and went with the xt. The xt was twice the bow that one was. I recall shooting it and going, this is all I’ll ever need.
                        I was tempted once or twice to chase a thought of upgrading it because I got caught up in the hype. I just could never see the point though.
                        Swithback XT for me...2006 model, I believe. Bought it here from Target-panic back in 2009. I've actually had thoughts in my head lately of "do I want a new bow", but always end up thinking why should I change when I'm comfortable with what I have and it gets the job done. Really, how much better are the newer bows?? I honestly don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Here's my Indian from the late 70s... Dad used it for this one hunt at the YO and gave it to me. Hasn't picked up a bow since.

[ATTACH]1098348[/ATTACH]
                          awesome pic!

Comment

My Matthews Drenalin (which was new tech when this thread started) still shoots good but I keep looking for something new......just haven't justified it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
                              TTT for updates from any of you who posted to this thread earlier, and still use (or even own) the same bows.

Lot of old names on this one.
                              I didn’t look at date at first. Started reading comments got a couple down and someone was complaining about new bows for going for 650. I then knew something wasn’t right.

Comment

2001 (I think) I bought my Matthews Sq2. I still own it, but replaced it with with Z7 Extreme in 2010'sh while on assignment in Alberta as I felt I need different set up for western hunts and longer distance shooting.

I still own both, and just restrung the Z7 and added new sight to refresh it. I am probably never shooting better and enjoying it more than I did the day I bought it. Going to restring the SQ2 next and take it back into the tree stand at some point this fall or next.
                                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                                X