No announcement yet.

How long to double your salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 years. Started at this company while in college working in the warehouse part time. Graduated college in 2015 and hung around for about a year before they moved me into a desk job. Last year a I got a bump that brought me well about 2X where I started.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I was there last week, and your groceries, and your people were top notch…yet again. Reccomend to my cousin who lives in Aledo, and he said “oh, I know…”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Words getting out. That place is breakfast taco central in west fort worth.

Comment

My niece has done it twice in 5 years. She is not even 30 and makes more money than me and my wife combined!

She has done it by being one of the best at what she does and she is not afraid to relocate or take the every opportunity when presented. She is a brilliant girl and fearless. She has found her niche and loves her work.

Comment

Walked in the door at Texas Instruments in '76 making $4.25/hr. Went through a 4yr apprenticeship program and got $10/hr.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            Well under 5 years. When you start out making jack squat it isnt difficult to raise your pay to just squat.
            4 years-went to work for myself in 05 and went 0’s for a couple of years. Now we eat all right.

Comment

First job out of college, I stayed with the same company for a good while and doubled around 5 years. At year 6 I started applying around and landed an offer. The company matched it and landed a ~50% raise. Did the same thing at the end of year 7 but switched companies this time for another ~30% raise; that put me about 3X what I started at.

I work in software. For the industry, I am probably moving up slower than my peers. However, I work from home 100% in a very small town, refuse to travel for work, and keep my hours under 40 a week. I don't miss any of the kids' events and leave work at work. Life is good, we have been very blessed.

Comment

Longer than I’d liked - about 10 years - but straight out of college making a fairly respectable salary - two industry changes I’m glad to be there by now.

Comment

I have spent my whole life in the restaurant business. Started working at 13 making 2.00 per hour cash. At 15 got my first “real” job at 2.85 per hour. I was making 4.50 per hour in less than a year. After college, first salaried job at 24,000. Tripled that in a year. Continued climbing for 20 years. 3 years ago took a $25,000 pay cut. I took myself from VP to General Manager. My quality of life is 1000 percent better now. Some things don’t have numbers attached. Seeing my kids grow up is worth way more. I’m blessed with a wife that supports me on that. Hard work at any level pays off.

Comment

I worked through college, and as soon as I graduated I started with the company I am still with now, 11 years later.

My first year I made about 7x what I had been making through college (not quite full-time).
                    Last year I just about doubled what I made my first year. I set the bar pretty high back then. In a commissioned sales position.

Comment

Started working a man's job in 1981. Doubled my salary in 11 years. Doubled that in another 6 years. Took 17 years but doubled that again in 2015. So, to date, I'm making over 10x what I did in 1981. I've been blessed. And I'm leaving it all behind in December when I retire!

Comment

From my 1st salary job after college ($32K a year to get it to $64k) took about 8 years

Comment

Great question Jim!

I'm still working at the job that I took when you and I were living together 8+ years ago. Currently in my 9th year of service with this company and I have quadrupled my salary in that time.

I have switched departments once, and "roles" within the company 6 times (4 times in one department, twice in current department) to get there, and currently have no desire to change roles or departments. I've had my current role for ~5 years and declined mgmt position in this department as well to stay where I am.

Comment

I've been self employed 95 percent of my adult life... so to double or triple my salary was on me. I've done that a few times since opening my first company at 24. Sold that one at 35, started my current one at 40. Been a crazy ride... I've done pretty well.

Comment

2.5 years to double. 11 years in I'm right at 10x of my first base salary.

Comment

Sunbelt equipment at age 14, made $6.50, McDonald's at 17, made $7.25, by the time I was 21, I was halfway to a 7 digit income, and realized working for someone else was not for me.
                                Lot of highs and lows and along the way since, and currently on the come up again .

Comment

Working...
                                X