2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    Well my corn is maxing out at 4' and starting to produce. I can't imagine these making any big cobs. I must have planted to late, or not tilled my new clay area I planted them in up good enough with good soil. Part of me wants to wait the rest out and see what they do..and part of me wants to yank em and get something else in their place asap.
    It looks like your corn didn’t pollinate. Normally to get good pollination I plant in smaller rows spacing the seeds about 6” apart, this ensures the silk gets pollination from adjoining stalks. My rows are about 32” apart so I can get the tiller in between.

Comment

Cool resource for planning: https://www.gardenate.com/zones/USA%...e%2B8a?month=6

Comment

First year to do cantaloupes. BUMPER CROP! Next year I will spread out planting, maybe two vines each week. I'm getting 7 or 8 per day the last several days. Never have tasted them so sweet. Incredible.

Have to be careful on how much you eat. You could **** through a screen door if you over do it.

They're now being cut up and frozen for smoothies.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted alo lt of melons last year and picked 200+ cantaloupe a week sometimes.

This year I planted 1/2 the amount and of course my crops aren’t doing that well. What varieties did you plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet deal! I did one honeydew and so far it only produced one. I didn't realize that I would need to hand pollinate. I went out there a few days ago and helped them out a bit, I should have 5 or 6 more soon. The one was not very sweet, wonder if I let it over ripen like my "watermelons".

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              I planted alo lt of melons last year and picked 200+ cantaloupe a week sometimes.

This year I planted 1/2 the amount and of course my crops aren’t doing that well. What varieties did you plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Half ambrosia and half I cannot remember.
              Also threw in a couple of 'mini melons' which I thought were little water melons. Nope, more lopes!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can get "Sugar Queen" from Willhite Seeds that is the best cantaloupe I have ever planted. Heavy producer and sweet as sugar.

Comment

Need some fall gardening advice. Here's the situation:

Leon County. I think Zone III. Really sandy loam soil (a little too much sand is my guess).

Wife wants a fall garden. Both us have never done anything except raised beds and containers.

I have access to a PTO tiller.

I have a box blade with rippers.

The area she wants the garden is has quite a bit of shade (I'm a little concerned about too much shade). Really nowhere on our place that doesn't have a lot of shade except where we're going to build a house.

We have the Monterrey Mushroom factory in Madisonville about 25 miles away that sells/gives away the mushroom mulch that a lot of people use.

So any advice on the best way to prep ground, make rows with nothing but a 34hp kubota and tiller, and get everything in the ground before it's too late?

Seeds or starters?

Fertilizer options (never had soil tested)?

Anything else?

Anything on here that doesn't apply to our area/situation? https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/b...ide-for-texas/

Comment

[QUOTE=Throwin Darts;16270286]You can start seeds on grow mat with a tray or in some rockwool

What is the next step after they have sprouted on that mat?

Comment

Chew,
                      This book has helped me tremendously. JADAM
                      The way to Ultra-Low-Cost agriculture

YouTube has tons of videos on KNF.

Looks like it’s gonna be a great space for you and the wife to relax. Good luck

Comment

Chew,
                        Till the plot you want, start now while it's HOT... Get you some silage tarps and cover the ground. That will allow the weed/grass seeds to germinate and with no sun, they will die... Uncover mid-August and add in as much of that mushroom mulch/compost as you can afford. Also when you rake leaves around the house (once you are established there), dump all the leaves on the garden spot each summer and cover again... continue to add organic material to the ground to reduce the sand content. The loamy soil is a great start for a garden. Get you a ph meter and test it after you have amended it with the compost/other organic matter. Adjust the ph for the plants you will grow and you'll be off and running. I'd think you are in Zone 8a or 7b...

This is the USDA Texas planting zone map. In order to find your USDA planting zone, simply look at the map and locate where you live.

Comment

Chainsaw is your friend. Open up some of the canopy. Green beans grow great in the fall and prefer crappy soil.....

Comment

The couple of cucumber plants I have are cranking them out still. Made 4 more pints of pickles on Monday. I'll have to make more either tomorrow or Friday. My corn was ready so I picked that and have been eating it all this week.

Pepper varieties are all coming along nicely, but my Coolapeno is the only one I've let go to pod so far. There are about 15 pods on the plant right now. Wife saw a TikTok video of something about loofas and now I have some of them growing too. Picking okra about every other day. The only thing not happening are my tomatoes. Plants look great but have literally nothing going on with them.

Anyone have any pics of their compost or rainwater catchment setup? Outside of adding a couple new beds. those two things are next on my project list. Looking for ideas or input there.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              Chew,
                              This book has helped me tremendously. JADAM
                              The way to Ultra-Low-Cost agriculture

YouTube has tons of videos on KNF.

Looks like it’s gonna be a great space for you and the wife to relax. Good luck
                              Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Chew,
                              Till the plot you want, start now while it's HOT... Get you some silage tarps and cover the ground. That will allow the weed/grass seeds to germinate and with no sun, they will die... Uncover mid-August and add in as much of that mushroom mulch/compost as you can afford. Also when you rake leaves around the house (once you are established there), dump all the leaves on the garden spot each summer and cover again... continue to add organic material to the ground to reduce the sand content. The loamy soil is a great start for a garden. Get you a ph meter and test it after you have amended it with the compost/other organic matter. Adjust the ph for the plants you will grow and you'll be off and running. I'd think you are in Zone 8a or 7b...

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pla...ting-zones.htm
                              Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Chainsaw is your friend. Open up some of the canopy. Green beans grow great in the fall and prefer crappy soil.....

Thanks guys. Good info.

Comment

Find you some of those old timers around where your future home is and pick their brain on gardening in your area. What grows best, type of seeds, where they buy their seed etc and of course all of the information above.

Comment

Working...
                                X