No announcement yet.

Electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm talking about the cover around the compress.

I help more tomorrow if need. It's bed time.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not running it on an extension cord are you?

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
          Not running it on an extension cord are you?
          Nope.

Comment

Question, is the compressor brand new or used?

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              Question, is the compressor brand new or used?

J
              It’s used but barely. It worked great at the previous owners shop

Comment

Does it trip trying to start or after it's running?
                Have you tried it on another circuit?

Comment

Just about all motors have a big amp draw on start-up. And, then the amp draw settles down after the start-up. [Lock Rotor Amp versus Running Load Amp]

The efficiency of the motor dictates the amp draw.

If this compressor is the only load on this circuit, it would be fine to put a larger breaker on it......just to cover start-up

This is very prevalent in A/C compressors. On very inefficient units, the code will allow you to put a 50 amp breaker on a 25 amp motor.........just to prevent the breaker from tripping on start-up

To confirm, put an amprobe on the unit, turn it on, and you will see a major spike when it first kicks on, then the amp draw will settle down after it's running.

Comment

Originally posted by RonRon View Post
                    Just about all motors have a big amp draw on start-up. And, then the amp draw settles down after the start-up. [Lock Rotor Amp versus Running Load Amp]

The efficiency of the motor dictates the amp draw.

If this compressor is the only load on this circuit, it would be fine to put a larger breaker on it......just to cover start-up

This is very prevalent in A/C compressors. On very inefficient units, the code will allow you to put a 50 amp breaker on a 25 amp motor.........just to prevent the breaker from tripping on start-up

To confirm, put an amprobe on the unit, turn it on, and you will see a major spike when it first kicks on, then the amp draw will settle down after it's running.

This is true but on a typical thermal mag breaker, there is enough “time” to get the motor started up before the breaker trips.

I suspect he has an issue with his start capacitor or something else going on in the motor.

He also could just have a bad breaker but since he’s already upsized form 15A to 20A that seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                      Obviously too much draw on that circuit. Don’t go to 30 amp breaker unless your current wire is 10/2. If it was a 15 amp circuit before it’s probably 12/2 wire. If you’ve got room in your panel for an additional 20 amp breaker, just make you a short drop with a plug box and plug in and see if it works. If no problems then you can add a dedicated circuit just for that piece of equipment. Plus this will tell you if it’s a motor issue instead of an electrical issue.
                      This^^

I have 3 circuits in my garage to keep up...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        This is true but on a typical thermal mag breaker, there is enough “time” to get the motor started up before the breaker trips.

I suspect he has an issue with his start capacitor or something else going on in the motor.

He also could just have a bad breaker but since he’s already upsized form 15A to 20A that seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        From what I am understanding he changed the "outlet" and not the breaker...

Comment

Go to a 30 amp breaker for a bit and see if that fixes it? Still i would get an amp meter on it to see if it has excessive draw on start up and when builidng pressure.

What amp breaker was it on prior?

Comment

Just to clarify, the circuit has a 20 amp breaker and 15 amp plug. I changed the plug to 20 amp last night. I’ll run it’s own circuit with 12/2 and 20 amp plug and breaker this weekend to see if that helps.

Last resort will be 10/2 with 30 amp breaker.

Comment

Just for grins, check the terminal connector where the white wire is connected. In the picture, the wire on the left looks to be a little discolored. This connection may be loose.

Comment

Return it if you can. It just may be a lemon.

Comment

Working...
                                X