X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
      Any issues with this ? Found a pile of cast iron pans in dads barn and was planning to strip and season

Maybe I got lucky but it cooks awesome, I cook 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon in it dang near every morning.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Maybe I got lucky but it cooks awesome, I cook 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon in it dang near every morning.
        I’m gonna give it a shot with a wheel. Thx

Comment

Nice project, looks great and good info here, will put it to use. Thanks for posting info.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            I'd probably be a billionaire if I had the discipline to stop at 2 bacon strips.

Comment

why not just sand blast it?

Comment

Thought

Someone try this and report back...
                Soak with oven cleaner and then stick it in a self cleaning electric oven and run it through a cycle.

And i wondered about the sandblast method also ?

Comment

I have placed some old cast iron in my fire pit and cleaned after the wood had burned out and it worked great. An old cowboy told me of the method.

Comment

Following.. this is great info.

Comment

Best of my knowledge LYE is the Basic Ingredient in Oven cleaner...As far a Sand blasting.I to wonder (i know it will get to base metal quick) without soaking or scrubbing..BUT next time gota rig up my blaster...I will do a couple and see

Comment

Has anyone else used electrolysis to clean them? An old 12v battery charger, washing soda a tub of water and a piece of sacrificial metal has done a good job for me in the past for getting rust off.

My problem has always been the re-seasoning. I'm still working on that process to get it right.

Comment

Sand blasting will create a rough surface, that’s why it is good as a prep for painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                            I have placed some old cast iron in my fire pit and cleaned after the wood had burned out and it worked great. An old cowboy told me of the method.

So this used to be a very common thing back in the day. It has been found though that it can result in heat damage which is shown as a light redness on the skillet. It will cause seasoning to not stick well in those heat damaged areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try some cult on the rust. I find it works great for a chunk of rusty metal. I mix it a little strong but throw in an old rusty tool and it comes perfect. That and you lye bath may be the ticket!

Comment

Thanks for this post OP. How long in the Lye bath? Do you scrub anything off in the Lye water? Do you rinse and repeat the Lye bath process? Once out of the Lye bath, do you scrub with water prior to scrubbing in the 50 water 50 vinegar? Again, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X