Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does an elevated rest give an advantage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t want to take away from all the fun discussion going on over on the TBOT? thread, so here’s a new one. All things equal: same bow, same specs, same arrows, same shooter- does an elevated rest give an advantage? I’m talking a simple $3 stick on plastic, simple wire rest, or fishing line rest. Not some $100 fancy Zniper do-dad.

Yes or no….

And for those that say no, next question: should elevated rest shooters and off the shelf shooters compete in the same class?

In ease of tuning only.

You can make a bow tune just as well, and be just as forgiving off the shelf as it is off of a typical stick on rest.

The shelf just takes more work (isn't as easy) to get there.

Rick

Comment

Makes it more forgiving for sure. I have an old school feather rest on a Bob Lee recurve and it makes quite a difference IMO

Comment

Best I can tell an elevated rest is more forgiving of inconsistent finger pressure. I.e. it is softer if you yoink the back end of the shaft down into the shelf on a pressured shot. Other than that, it's supposed to tune easier.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
          should elevated rest shooters and off the shelf shooters compete in the same class?
          I should address this question as well.

Makes no difference to me whether they are separated, or not, because I said in my first reply - "The shelf can be made to shoot from just as well as the rest."

I actually prefer shooting from the shelf, once I put in the time to make it work, it's just as good as a simple rest, and has nothing to be concerned with about failing.

Rick

Comment

Supposedly, the elevated rest makes tuning easier. The only way I could possibly see it making a person shoot better would be if the couldn’t get a good tune off the shelf but could get a good tune off the rest.

It will not increase a persons ability or skill level!!!!!

I don’t care if they were included in the same class. It’s not the rest, but the monkey pulling the string that makes the main difference 99.9% of the time!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              I don’t care if they were included in the same class. It’s not the rest, but the monkey pulling the string that makes the main difference 99.9% of the time!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              I happen to know one of my failings as a shooter is that I'm prone to intermittent string torque that gets a nock high flight. That's with a well tuned bow, mind you. I'll have random arrows that kick off the shelf and show nock high, but still fly where I'm looking (roughly speaking)...

In theory, a springy/elevated rest will not kick the nock end and fletching as hard as a shelf... ergo, the flight will be a little more true. Might be the difference between an 8 and a 10, or a 5 and an 8... three errors like that on 30 targets and it might be enough to make a difference in score for me.

Of course, I still agree with you, that it's mostly the monkey behind the string! If I'm making that error, I'm probably also doing other things wrong that will reduce my score for the day. I don't feel remotely handicapped by shooting against someone with an elevated rest.

Comment

I remember a time long ago, when folks would almost swallow their tongues when a shooter showed up shooting 3-under.

Now, I would venture to say (but not positive of it ), that there are more 3-under shooters, than there are split finger shooters.

Times, and things change.

Rick

Comment

I have both znipers and shoot off shelf on my longbows. I really find little difference on accuracy once tuned. The zniper with plunger is just easier to tune for right/left tuning.

Comment

Rests are more forgiving and easier to tune.

I’m fortunate to own quite a few different brands of custom bows. I own several (6) of a particular brand that I can’t get to shoot off of the shelf so I either use a rest or build up the shelf to get it to work.

That being said most of the guys that out shoot you with a rest would probably still out shoot you off of the shelf anyway.
                    Last edited by M.E.B.; 01-12-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                      That being said most of the guys that out shoot you with a rest would probably still out shoot you off of the shelf anyway.
                      That is a fact.

Rick

Comment

I "Do Not" mean this as an insult to "Anyone".

Your understanding of tuning, and ability to achieve it, will mean more to your shooting ability, than just about anything else.

An elevated rest makes that tuning easier to achieve, but if you don't "understand" tuning, it's going to be pretty much like tits on a boar hog for you.

"IF" you understand tuning, and have a little creative ability, you can make a shelf work every bit as good as an elevated rest, but still be "just a shelf".

EDIT:
                        I'm not talking about micro tune, drop away elevated rest stuff. Just simple elevated rests of either the stick on or bolt through design, that only allow center cut adjustment.

Rick
                        Last edited by RickBarbee; 01-12-2023, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                          Rests are more forgiving and easier to tune.

I’m fortunate to own quite a few different brands of custom bows. I own several (6) of a particular brand that I can’t get to shoot off of the shelf so I either use a rest or build up the shelf to get it to work.

This is 100% true. Those consistently good shooters will outshoot us average guys most days anyways. Fact is just some shooters are better than others.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                            I "Do Not" mean this as an insult to "Anyone".

Your understanding of tuning, and ability to achieve it, will mean more to your shooting ability, than just about anything else.

An elevated rest makes that tuning easier to achieve, but if you don't "understand" tuning, it's going to be pretty much like tits on a boar hog for you.

"IF" you understand tuning, and have a little creative ability, you can make a shelf work every bit as good as an elevated rest, but still be "just a shelf".

EDIT:
                            I'm not talking about micro tune, drop away elevated rest stuff. Just simple elevated rests of either the stick on or bolt through design, that only allow center cut adjustment.

Rick
                            And you don't find that a springy, or even a plastic stick on rest has more give to it, and interferes less with nock height issues on a bad release? A.K.A. forgiveness for a less than perfect archer?

A shelf can't offer that soft "give" that an elevated rest does, no matter how high and shapely the bump of wood under the velcro. I'm not talking about a rest thats hiding less than perfect tune. I'm talking about two equally perfect tunes, wielded by a slightly imperfect archer.

Comment

I have one traditional bow that I shoot with a stick on rest. But it’s a 54 year old target bow. It doesn’t have a shelf that you can shoot off of. Not something I can shoot for score at the HCS or BL because it’s “not” traditional enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X