No announcement yet.

New grill day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been wanting one of these for a while, and this thread made me head to BBQ Outfitters and pick one up. Maverick 1250, and it about made my wife a widow when we were unloading it. Looked afterwards and it weighs in at 275lbs, a whole lot heavier than the Traeger I had and a whole lot heavier than we had expected, ha!

Did our first cook on it yesterday during the Cowboys game. We had smoked jalapeno cream corn, venison link sausage, and chicken drums. Everything turned out great and the grill itself was a breeze to use. The fluctations in temp were much less than what I've typically seen with my Traeger, but that would make sense given the heavier gauge materials and a better controller. Conversely, it also takes noticeably longer to get to heat than the old Pro 34. Overall I'm very pleased with it and expect it to last a long time. Thanks for the nudge, OP!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
      I've been wanting one of these for a while, and this thread made me head to BBQ Outfitters and pick one up. Maverick 1250, and it about made my wife a widow when we were unloading it. Looked afterwards and it weighs in at 275lbs, a whole lot heavier than the Traeger I had and a whole lot heavier than we had expected, ha!

Did our first cook on it yesterday during the Cowboys game. We had smoked jalapeno cream corn, venison link sausage, and chicken drums. Everything turned out great and the grill itself was a breeze to use. The fluctations in temp were much less than what I've typically seen with my Traeger, but that would make sense given the heavier gauge materials and a better controller. Conversely, it also takes noticeably longer to get to heat than the old Pro 34. Overall I'm very pleased with it and expect it to last a long time. Thanks for the nudge, OP!
      Hah! Glad to be of service, or maybe disservice?

First cook on this 850 was awesome. My son kept going back for those chuck style ribs, and I’m taking some for lunch tomorrow myself.

The food definitely got a nice smoke hint off the grill alone, but I’ll definitely be adding a smoke tube to certain future cooks because I like just a little more than the grill itself provided.

Congrats on the new purchase, and enjoy!

Comment

I am a stick burner but I wouldn’t kick that thing out of bed. That looks sweet. In for reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
          Hah! Glad to be of service, or maybe disservice?

First cook on this 850 was awesome. My son kept going back for those chuck style ribs, and I’m taking some for lunch tomorrow myself.

The food definitely got a nice smoke hint off the grill alone, but I’ll definitely be adding a smoke tube to certain future cooks because I like just a little more than the grill itself provided.

Congrats on the new purchase, and enjoy!

What pellets did you use? I’ve found the pellets can make a noticeable difference in the amount of smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            What pellets did you use? I’ve found the pellets can make a noticeable difference in the amount of smoke.

Just B&B Championship. I try to not overpower a cook by using one particular flavor.

As I kind of alluded to earlier, I’d rather see how the grill works with somewhat neutral fuel and adjust to it from there. I generally run pecan pellets in a smoke tube for beef, but will change it up with Mesquite here and there. For pork, poultry and fish, I prefer Apple.

Comment

Just B&B Championship. I try to not overpower a cook by using one particular flavor.

As I kind of alluded to earlier, I’d rather see how the grill works with somewhat neutral fuel and adjust to it from there. I generally run pecan pellets in a smoke tube for beef, but will change it up with Mesquite here and there. For pork, poultry and fish, I prefer Apple.

I meant more of the brand than the type. I’ve found the Lumberjack pellets give the best smoke and richest flavor. They have blends as well as straight wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  I meant more of the brand than the type. I’ve found the Lumberjack pellets give the best smoke and richest flavor. They have blends as well as straight wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                  Sorry, been a hectic few days and forgot to check back in.

You probably noticed it in my previous post, but B&B is the brand I’ve been running. I can get a 40 lb bag at Academy for around $15 and it definitely runs good. It cooks just about right when we want some smoke, but not too much. That’s why when we do want smoke, I’ll kick the temp down a bit, cook longer and run a smoke tube.

That said, I’ve heard good things about the Lumberjack pellets and plan to give them a shot at some point. I’ve run the Traeger pellets before and while they’re good, I didn’t feel there was really a difference between those and B&B. Outside of the price anyway.

Those Traeger pellets were pretty freaking expensive.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	24705615
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	24705616

How’s about some cornbread stuffed pork chops for dinner?

Well, sounded good to us at least.

Comment

Turned out awesome. Added a smoke tube with Applewood and put it right where I wanted.

Tomorrow, picanha. Interested to see how this thing Sears.

Comment

Looks good. Like how the first smoke was sausage and balls. Gotta assert dominance

Comment

Let’s try a couple of picanhas (similar to tri tip).

Comment

Let’s try a couple of picanhas (similar to tri tip).

Let me know how the sear does. I haven't done that yet on mine.

Comment

You got it. I’ll probably kick it up to 600 and see how it does with the grease pan and diffuser still in just to see how it does.

Comment

You got it. I’ll probably kick it up to 600 and see how it does with the grease pan and diffuser still in just to see how it does.
                                Heck yeah! I've noticed these pits take considerably longer getting up to temp compared to my Traeger Pro 34. Definitely holds temp much better so I guess you can't have both. If I had to guess I'd bet getting to 600* would take me at least 30 minutes on the 1250! If you happen to time it I'd be interested to hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X