Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Browning

Very interesting documentary.

Proud to say the majority of the guns I have owned in this life have been Brownings or made on a Browning patent.

Comment

……..was a firearms genious !

Comment

What was genius was to invent and license his designs to firearm manufacturers to build. Licensing on a royalty without having all the headaches of a factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          What was genius was to invent and license his designs to firearm manufacturers to build. Licensing on a royalty without having all the headaches of a factory.

That started with the A5, prior to the A5, he was just selling the patents to Winchester cheaply. Because nobody could design a semi auto shotgun that worked for crap, when he designed the A5, he knew it was worth a lot of money, and he was not letting Winchester have that patent for a small one time payment. Winchester told him to pound sand. So he went to Remington and they made the gun, eventually calling it the model 11. Then some years later, he sold the manufacturing rights or patent to many companies all over the world. The A5 is the gun that made him very wealthy.

Comment

I sure miss the old Remington model 241 that I used to have.
            The first one I ever shot was at Texas State Fair in Dallas at a shooting gallery. I was about 9 or 10 years old. It was probably a model 24 since it shot 22 shorts. Thought I had won me a big ol teddy bear but the gallery hawker cheated me out of it.
            I now have the Browning SA-22 takedown. Crazy accurate. Got it back when a new one was just under $400.

Comment

Awesome. thank you

Comment

What I would like to know about JMB is...
                Did he ever hang out with Teddy Roosevelt or exchange ideas with him? These guys were both active at the turn of the century and into guns. Heavily.

Comment

Interesting question. I can’t find a picture of them together or a reference on the web. Hard to believe Browning, an LDS from Utah would have been a Democrat.

Comment

Interesting question. I can’t find a picture of them together or a reference on the web. Hard to believe Browning, an LDS from Utah would have been a Democrat.

Agreed on the democrat issue. But I dont think politics would have gotten in the way of these two great men trying to make a better gun.

Comment

Those democrats weren't the democrats of today.

Comment

You gotta realize huge party shift democrats where republicans back then!

Thank for posting OP i learned alot from that. I knew about most of the guns but didnt realize how strong his original ties where to Winchester. Amazing the mechanical mind he had considering back then people where not that exposed to mechanical things like today. And how big of a player most of the guns he designed are still used and in production today.

Comment

If you check, I think you will find that Teddy was a Republican.

Comment

I thought Teddy was leader of the Bull Moose party. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bull-Moose-Party
                            He later was elected Pres. under the republican banner.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                              You gotta realize huge party shift democrats where republicans back then!

Not true. I read it al the time on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X