Making Sausage ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Sausage ???

I dropped off a deer earlier at the processor. I debone the deer myself and took in 40lbs of meat. At $4.49 per pound., I will have a fairly large sausage bill pretty soon. I have never thought about making my on sausage, but for you guys that process their on deer, what kind of cost do you think it cost you to produce a pound of sausage and about what kind of money to do have tied up in equipment. Thanks

$30 for casings, $10 for spices, and however much pork you have to buy. I’m probably probably around $1500 or so in equipment. Maybe a little more, but I have some other stuff too. Bare minimum equipment for sausage making is just a grinder. So if you wanted in cheap that would be your best option. Once you get to doing it your equipment pile will grow.

Comment

20lbs Pork at .99cents a pound ($20)
      Casings- $20 (100pd approx)
      Salt, pepper, garlic-$10
      Meat grinder- cheapo can be had for $150 ( with stuffer attch)
      Stuffer- prolly use stuffer attachment on grinder
      Cotton twine- $5
      Case of ice cold longnecks- $20
      Satisfaction of doing it yourself- priceless

You’ll also need a smoke haus of some sort.

Comment

If you break it down by lb, including the pork, casing, spices and packaging, I'd say it's about $1.25 per lb. That's just the straight cost, not adding in buying a grinder, stuffer and mixer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you watch during the year,Lem's,Waltons usually run some good sales on equipment.
          Say you get 30lbs sausage made at the processors,15lbs of your deer meat,15lbs pork,but you get charged for 30lbs of sausage, it will pay for itself(the equipment).You get your on deermeat also.

Comment

Following

Comment

Making Sausage ???

I dont know exactly what it cost me, but its nowhere near $4.50/lb. The way I see it, you’ll pay for your grinder/stuffer/taper/vacuum sealer/etc within a year or two of not taking animals to the processor. Plus you know you’ll have your deer/pork thats yours when its said and done. And if it doesnt taste good its your fault and you dont have to be mad about paying a large bill for something you dont like.

Just watch for sales on pork butts or briskets to keep your cost down there. Buy seasonings in big bottles. Watch for sales around Christmas on all processing stuff. Bass Pro even gives you a nice discount on your first purchase with their CC, if you dont already have it, that may be worth a 1 time use to buy your equipment. I think its like 10% first purchase up to $1500. Catch it on sale plus get 10% off and its not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                I dropped off a deer earlier at the processor. I debone the deer myself and took in 40lbs of meat. At $4.49 per pound., I will have a fairly large sausage bill pretty soon. I have never thought about making my on sausage, but for you guys that process their on deer, what kind of cost do you think it cost you to produce a pound of sausage and about what kind of money to do have tied up in equipment. Thanks
                If you get a grinder , I’ve got a small stiffer you can have, a think it’s a 10 pound, I inherited my grandmas Enterprise Stuffer. I’ll send you our recipe also if you want

Comment

We made 220 pounds this past weekend. I had 42 lbs of it. I have not paid my part but I spent around $45 on pork (1.29 a pound) and I have extra pork.

Biggest expense is the equipment. I have a good friend who has it all so if I want to do it myself I can use their stuff but we are going to buy a grinder soon to make our own burger and what not.

I imagine I will be about 1.50 a pound when all said and done.

Comment

Much cheaper to make your own.

I am one who would rather spend the money on the tools for the job and learn/practice making it exactly how I want it, with saving money in the long run. Other benefits too.

Pretty much do this for everything. Especially working on cars and carpentry. Got a decent garage of tools built up. lol.

J

Comment

It’s much cheaper to make your own. There’s no magic to it. You can make it just as good as any processor can. The equipment is the biggest cost. It will pay for itself over time. I’ve been processing mine and my families deer for over 30 years.

Comment

Made my own for many years..The prices the Processors are charging are higher per pound than I can buy Quality smoked sausage across counter per pound for....

I was in PRASEK's the other day Smoked sausage(pork /pork n beef/ ) price ranged between $4.29 --$4.99 thats per pound...ready made
                        Last edited by cva34; 12-11-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I’m always from $1-1.50 per pound making sausage seems like. Mainly depending on price of pork. But if you watch and stock the freezer when pork butts are 99 cents or less,you can cut your costs even more.

Comment

We, mostly my FIL, have gathered all the commercial equipment to make our own. We stockpile pork and beef during the year and spend a couple cool winter days making hamburger, boudin(we don’t stuff it), and pan sausage. It’s a family tradition we enjoy and fill our freezers. We have Praseks do our link and summer sausage, mostly because our better halves prefer it. Definitely a money saver to do your own and a good cause for a party.

Comment

I buy my pork from local eatery. Last year was $.75 per pound per 60lb box, boneless butts. Spices are salt pepper sage garlic red pepper.

Comment

Working...
                              X