Turkey hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey hunting

I was looking at the regs and for turkey season it does not mention legal weapons. I guess I’ve always assumed spring season was bow or shotguns only.
    Was there any time where it was limited to bows and shotguns?

I honestly wish it was! I’ve traveled the country for the last 10 years, covered miles of public land on foot, and killed birds in 7 different states so far. Every time it comes up in conversation all I ever hear is ”I’ve Turkey hunted a lot too! I shot 2 under the feeder last year with my .270!”....*facepalm*. To each their own by any legal means but I’m sorry, that’s not Turkey hunting, that’s just shooting fish in a barrel from 200yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just certain counties in East Texas for Eastern turkeys

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
        I honestly wish it was! I’ve traveled the country for the last 10 years, covered miles of public land on foot, and killed birds in 7 different states so far. Every time it comes up in conversation all I ever hear is ”I’ve Turkey hunted a lot too! I shot 2 under the feeder last year with my .270!”....*facepalm*. To each their own by any legal means but I’m sorry, that’s not Turkey hunting, that’s just shooting fish in a barrel from 200yds.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Comment

I figured it was shotgun only or bow in the Spring. That's how it is in Oklahoma so I guess I just assumed. In the Fall you can use a rifle or a pistol here. I think getting a turkey with a pistol would be pretty cool.

Comment

I had a great friend that passed away last year that carried a shotgun and 22 hornet when he turkey hunted. When you heard him shoot, you knew if the gobbler came in or got hung up. He always said you have to be prepared either way

Comment

Rifles have always been legal during the spring and I know a couple of guys that always carry a .222 or something similar to kill em if they are out of shotgun range. Personally I have always used a shotgun or bow when I am straight turkey hunting. Just the way I was brought up. The whole point to me is being able to outsmart em and call them in to within shotgun range. Shooting a turkey in the spring at 150yds with a rifle is NOT turkey hunting to me.

Comment

Turkey hunting

Rifles including rimfires are legal during the Texas spring season. Of course shotguns and bows.

Shotguns or bows here for me and these days I’m strictly bow over decoys....I enjoy the hunt and challenge.

Comment

Rifles are not legal in east Texas but they are in West Texas. Pretty sure it's county specific

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                    Rifles are not legal in east Texas but they are in West Texas. Pretty sure it's county specific

True true...I sometimes forget about the easterns since I don't hunt them..

My comment was for Rios and I guess counties with both might have restrictions as well.

• Rimfire Ammunition (of any caliber) may NOT be used to hunt white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, or pronghorn.
                    • Shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used during spring Eastern turkey season.
                    Last edited by Smart; 02-26-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post

Yes !!!

I have told guys from up here in the Midwest how some turkey hunters spring turkey hunt in Texas. They can't believe it. Turkey hunting is one of the most challenging types of hunting I have ever done......but not doing it sitting over a feeder with a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        I was looking at the regs and for turkey season it does not mention legal weapons. I guess I’ve always assumed spring season was bow or shotguns only.
                        Was there any time where it was limited to bows and shotguns?
                        I've always thought the same thing. I thought you could only shoot them with a rifle during the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          I've always thought the same thing. I thought you could only shoot them with a rifle during the fall.
                          No you can shoot em with a shotgun, no one does though.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            Yes !!!

I have told guys from up here in the Midwest how some turkey hunters spring turkey hunt in Texas. They can't believe it. Turkey hunting is one of the most challenging types of hunting I have ever done......but not doing it sitting over a feeder with a rifle.
                            I got invited on a hunt near Rocksprings for axis and Turkey. I brought my deer rifle and my shotgun as this was during the spring turkey season. So old man says load up in da van I will go put ya'll in blinds. So I grab my deer rifle figuring we going axis hunting this afternoon and assumed we would turkey hunt I guess the next morning. He drops me off at my box and says, "Hey where's your turkey rifle?" I was confused. Apparently their idea of turkey and axis hunting was sitting in a box blind with both a deer rifle and "turkey" rifle, a .17 or .22 mag. I said I brought my shotgun to turkey hunt. He said you are peein in da wind with a shotgun, the feeders are too far for that. I shot a big axis buck that afternoon and asked if I could have a spot the next morning to turkey hunt. He said yea I have a spot that has a roost nearby but you have to stay in the blind. He wouldn't let me sit on the ground, said too many snakes. So I sat in the blind with my call and managed to call up 3 Rios within an hour of each other. The 1st one was alone and I killed him. Next was a pair and I got one of those. I only had two tags left as I had already killed two in Sonora prior to that. He was shocked that I killed 2 birds from the blind with a shotgun
                            Last edited by Duckologist; 02-26-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I'm no turkey hunter. Killed one years ago with a rifle in Harper and it didn't do anything for me. We finally have turkeys on our family place after a lifetime of not having them. We don't shoot/hunt them.

I went spring turkey hunting last year and I just cared about shooting one to eat some turkey so I took shotgun and rifle. I ended up calling one in to about 5 yards from me and blew it's head off with a shotgun. One of the most exhilarating hunts I've ever been on and I'm now looking forward to it this year and will not be bringing a rifle!

Comment

Working...
                              X