Am I being unreasonable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being unreasonable?

Hired a guy to build 300’ of coral fence with welded wire inside for my backyard. They also needed to clear out some brush that was in the way. Saturday 11/12 the they had all the brush cleared and drilled the first post hole on Sunday. As it sits today there is still half the brush to be hauled off, all posts are set, and about 2/3 of wire and it’s taken them almost 20days to get to this point. When they work it’s for 2-4 hours and that’s it. Haven’t been here all week except for Tuesday morning for about 30min to haul off some of the brush (never returned).

I’ve spoken to the boss man on several occasions about timelines and such, he has given me 2 deadlines and missed both. I spoke to him on Tuesday and requested he give me a firm deadline on when he would have it finished. He said This coming Saturday I told him if it wasn’t done at the end of day I was going to cut ties and hire someone else or finish it myself.

I’ve made a couple payments to him when certain stages were completed. 1st payment after brush was cleared and holes were dug, 2nd payment after all posts were set and the final payment would be when the fence was finished.

Am I being unreasonable to expect that this job should not have taken near this long? I would be more understanding if they had been putting in the work, but 2-4 hours at a time and I bet they have only been here 5-6 days out of the 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by canny; 12-02-2021, 04:09 PM.

Did I read it correctly that you asked him to set his own deadline- which he set for Saturday and he can’t make his deadline?

Comment

Fence

I would have already told him to go pound sand. I don't do business with contractors that request money before they are finished. I have done this in the past and the exact same thing happens. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
        Did I read it correctly that you asked him to set his own deadline- which he set for Saturday and he can’t make his deadline?

The firm deadline is this Saturday and yes he set it and nobody has been working since we talked.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
          I would have already told him to go pound sand. I don't do business with contractors that request money before they are finished. I have done this in the past and the exact same thing happens. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Absolutely, but the money paid was to cover materials which I have all the material here so I’m good with that part as I can justify what I’m paying for.

Comment

Sometimes sucks dealing with fence guys, but also be prepared to be certain you can find someone to finish the job if you fire him! Sometimes a job is too small for guys in that business to mess with.....

Comment

Man I feel for ya. Everyone asks me why I try to do every da*n thing myself. This is why.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                Man I feel for ya. Everyone asks me why I try to do every da*n thing myself. This is why.

I do too, but after back surgery I didn’t want to have to deal with toting the concrete and treated material.

Good news is since they have all the posts set all I have to do is finish stretching the wire and put up the boards.

Comment

Happens all the time even on the large scale construction jobs I support. Contractors love to promise you the world right now, because if they told you the real schedule you may look elsewhere. Then once they're working, the excuses and missed deadlines start. They get away with it because most folks just want it done. Makes you really appreciate the good ones. After 2 promises without delivery, I'd say you are completely within reason to be upset and personally I would have told them to leave long ago. Good luck sir
                  Last edited by jdg13; 12-02-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Kick their a## of the job and find someone else.

Comment

Not unreasonable at all. In fact you’ve been more than fair.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                        I do too, but after back surgery I didn’t want to have to deal with toting the concrete and treated material.

Good news is since they have all the posts set all I have to do is finish stretching the wire and put up the boards.

Or invite all your friends over for free beer and fish fry and let them do it. LOL. Good luck to you sir. Hope it has a happy ending.

Comment

Sounds like you are being perfectly reasonable. It's hard to get anybody that wants to work anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                            Depends on the size of the project…

OP, I would be po too!

Comment

He has too many jobs, he’s probably treating the others the same way. Either that, or he’s got a big job that’s paying good money. Then there’s always the possibility that they are a bunch of jerk o** dopeheads. Whatever the reason, weigh the pros and cons of showing him the road, then do whatever you’re gonna do. You’re justified either way, it’s your job.

Comment

Working...
                              X