Do you trap coons during deer season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you trap coons during deer season?

Our place is small so we don’t set our Dukes during deer season in concern it will mess up deer traffic. Just want to keep human traffic to a minimum during the season, not to mention the execution shots. We had a pretty good handle on them but they are back in force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a doubt...got 3-4 guys that love trapping.

That pic is what's messing up deer traffic...

Comment

Doesn't look like you had a pretty good handle on them. LOL
      Looks they have a pretty good handle on the protein feeder.....

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        Our place is small so we don’t set our Dukes during deer season in concern it will mess up deer traffic. Just want to keep human traffic to a minimum during the season, not to mention the execution shots. We had a pretty good handle on them but they are back in force

Jerp!
        They breading like rabbits!

Comment

Not normally but if I had them like that I might.

Comment

Set out 5 traps last weekend for coons at a feeder that had 5 coming in each night. Got all 5 of them. Couple days later the big buck that was coming in about every 3 days showed. Bad news is 3 more coons showed up!

Comment

tagged. dagum som beaches!!

Comment

We trap in the offseason because they are loud.. Those metal traps banging up against the legs makes a lot of racket when you want it to be quiet. If we do trap during the season it will be at a feedpen we don't plan on hunting that weekend and we notice there is a coon problem.....like yours! My deer are standoffish to it and only eat around the edges with a live coon caught....the cameras show they won't stand next to them.....or if they do its not long. They avoid the sides of my protein feeder the coons are trapped on and directly underneath or around the corn feeder legs. They don't leave for good...just while there is a coon there. That being said, now that I have killed my buck for the year, I will be trapping at the feeders I don't plan on sitting at in the mornings when I go up to play camp ***** and doe guide.

Comment

In my situation at home I have seen deer eat at the feeder with a dead coon below the feeder on more than one occasion. I would shoot them at night from my back porch and not get them until the next day.

Comment

I like to trap them any time I can. I really like when I know I will have a bright moon. I can use them as coyote bait. Pin them down with bent rebar and let the yotes get mad. Let them have it with buckshot. Our deer could care less about a cuffed raccoon. They just don't get close to them. I have a pic of a bobcat looking at a raccoon and a buck staring at the bobcat. They are all only feet from each other.

Comment

We don’t set traps for coons during the season, but we do bait those pesky flies……

Comment

I have trapped them during the season. I set the traps before I leave the lease. I caught three last time I set them and five more coons showed up. Ugh!!

Comment

Yes, I give them some big red in a bowl

Comment

Not during the season, but I make that a routine part of every off season. I can definitely notice when I skip a year. Just keep after them.

Comment

Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X