One of the problems with picking up range brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the problems with picking up range brass

Most shooting ranges I frequent have a policy that you can only pick up the brass that you shoot. They also aren't worried too much about you counting exactly what you shoot, but just expect you to be reasonable. I can accept this. A few weeks ago, I went to shoot with my wife and daughter and was picking up the 9mm brass as fast as I could. After cleaning it, I got ready to use my new Hornady AP press to load some 9mm. On about the 15th or 20th round, the case popped out of the priming station. Upon close inspection, I discovered it was a .380 case. You know, the physical difference between a .380 and a 9mm Luger isn't very big. I had to go through my brass to weed out the .380 and found about 30 cases. I know I should have inspected them closely before ever starting the process, but it just didn't dawn on me as we were the only ones shooting and don't own a .380. That said, I luckily learned a lesson without any damage done other than priming on .380 case. So, as we all already know, be careful.
    Dave

Originally posted by Coon View Post
    Most shooting ranges I frequent have a policy that you can only pick up the brass that you shoot. They also aren't worried too much about you counting exactly what you shoot, but just expect you to be reasonable. I can accept this. A few weeks ago, I went to shoot with my wife and daughter and was picking up the 9mm brass as fast as I could. After cleaning it, I got ready to use my new Hornady AP press to load some 9mm. On about the 15th or 20th round, the case popped out of the priming station. Upon close inspection, I discovered it was a .380 case. You know, the physical difference between a .380 and a 9mm Luger isn't very big. I had to go through my brass to weed out the .380 and found about 30 cases. I know I should have inspected them closely before ever starting the process, but it just didn't dawn on me as we were the only ones shooting and don't own a .380. That said, I luckily learned a lesson without any damage done other than priming on .380 case. So, as we all already know, be careful.
    Dave

Brass sifter helps separate by caliber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a hard time finding my .308 brass ring if I don’t take my time, 6.5cm and 7-08 , .243 , 260rem look absolutely the same till inspection

Comment

Been there done that on the 9mm, 45 acp and .308. Had a few .380, 40 sw, 10mm and 7-08 show up.

Comment

Working...
        X