Tractor Horse power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
    To be honest I don't know how much of that I will be shredding regularly. It would all be shredded to begin with to clear it out. After that I would say a good sprayer to maintain vs regular shredding time. This is a cattle ranch that is overgrown and needs to be maintained. Once the goat weeds are knocked down and I can spray, the shredding may not be as big of a deal.
    That’s what I thought too. But herbicide is expensive and can be very, very time consuming depending on what you’re spraying. Plus, there are just some areas like around the house, lake or the drive in that I wanted to keep tidier. When I mapped it out, it turned into a lot more acres then I wanted to spray or mow with the little brush hog.

I’ve always thought what would be ideal is to have a herd of goats following the cows through the pasture rotations. That’d keep the weeds down, but obviously brings a whole different set of issues.

Comment

I just sold a 52hp and bought a 116hp. The jump in fuel consumption was not linear with the jump in horsepower. I went from two gallons an hour to about seven. No more than I use the tractor, the fuel cost is not important. As I was reading your job list, I was thinking that a 75HP tractor would do the jobs with power to spare. I was doing everything on your list with my 52HP for the past eighteen years and did not suffer too much. The only reason that I bought larger was to be able to pull some tillage equipment. So, that will give you a range to work in. I just don't think that the smaller tractors have the weight to do much in the way of digging dirt or moving round bales with any weight to them. My small tractor weighed about 6500 pounds with the loader and a full tank of fuel. I kept either a blade, disc, or shredder mounted to counter balance a loaded bucket.

Comment

Do you plan on shredding 100+ acres at a time? If so you'll want a cab and a tractor that can pull a 15ft no problem, 70-80+ pto hp. That's a lot of acreage to shred for an open cab with anything less than 10ft shredder.

IMHO, if you want one tractor to do everything get a 100hp tractor. That will cover all your basic farm work including bailing if that were to ever be an option.

I have a 5065e and it will pull a 15ft shredder but if it's thick you'll be moving at a snails pace. Just finding a 10ft shredder right now is a huge pain.

Comment

The most important thing to look for on a used shredder in my opinion is the gear boxes and shafts. If you but used make them hook it up, see how much it vibrates and look for oil puddles underneath it. Gearboxes can run into money. I’m on board with used tractors but be prepared to do your homework.

Comment

35-45 hp should do what you mentioned on the small end but from experience, if you're only going to have 1, i'd go bigger, 55-75 HP more ideal for an all around tractor to pull 5 - 10ft mowers and plow or break ground etc, Me personally, due to the mowing with 10' or 12'+ mowers, i prefer 75-100 HP. Bucket on the front is nice and diesel is a must Any 1970s,1980s or 1990s Ford tractor will do whatever you need for half the cost of a new one and they are work horses. Ford 3000, Ford 4600, Ford 5000 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
              Do you plan on shredding 100+ acres at a time? If so you'll want a cab and a tractor that can pull a 15ft no problem, 70-80+ pto hp. That's a lot of acreage to shred for an open cab with anything less than 10ft shredder.

IMHO, if you want one tractor to do everything get a 100hp tractor. That will cover all your basic farm work including bailing if that were to ever be an option.

I have a 5065e and it will pull a 15ft shredder but if it's thick you'll be moving at a snails pace. Just finding a 10ft shredder right now is a huge pain.
              The 5065e is one of the quotes I got last week. The other was for the 5075e.

Comment

Based on all the responses I may just have to suck it up and go bigger than I was thinking. I'm just stingy and didn't want to.

Comment

Based on all the responses I may just have to suck it up and go bigger than I was thinking. I'm just stingy and didn't want to.
                  Believe me ,you will thank yourself for going bigger. I did & have half the place you do! Get the cab too. I wasn't ,but listened to the wife. Lifesaver in hot ,cold & dust!

Comment

75-100hp.

Comment

Look at it as an investment. That tractor in 15 years will bring what you paid, or very close, and you get the tax deduction. If you buy a major brand.

Comment

Then go used. I'm on tractors regularly mowing, grading, disc etc and Im not paying New prices for the equipment i need. I have several and think the newest is a 1997 JD 4020 and one that gets used the most for everyday stuff is a 84' Ford 5000. And they're easy to work if need be,

I'd spend $10k-$12k on a good 75+ HP used Tractor and the money you have left over, start looking at older used dozers , track loaders or bobcat bc it's a matter of time before you need that too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

100ish HP, 4wd, cab, bucket with grapple, 15' batwing and you will never wish you had less tractor. That is a lot of acreage just to keep roads maintained and shredded. Go bigger and more comfy on the tractor, and if you need to go down to a 10 or 12ft mower at least you will be comfortable during your extra time in the cab.

Comment

You will find that there won't be a single tractor that works perfect for every task on your place. The big tractors are great for big jobs, but suck when you need to fit into tight spots or transport it. I have almost 800 acres and have ended up with 2 tractors over time. One 50 HP to do daily work and one 100 HP to do the bigger stuff. If you go over 8' on a shredder get a batwing. Just my 2 cents

Comment

4WD with a cab are extra cost, but let you work all day. Worth every dime if you can swing it

Comment

i can say that I bought a 35HP Kubota and it is extremely SLOW when mowing. Can only mow at about 2MPH so it takes forever with a 60" brush hog. Wish I would have bigger. Other than that it works great for all other tasks.

Comment

Working...
                                X