Fluting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluting question

Picked this up today. Has low round count. My question is should I have it fluted and cerakoted again or just leave it alone? Or buy a second barrel? Thoughts or opinions?

I’ve noticed several companies want the barrel to be a minimum length of 24” this is a 20”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far too many variables…

Comment

Maybe have it fluted, leaving the coating as is. The fluting will stand out more, giving it a different look.
      That’s all I got.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

That is sexy! What is it?

Comment

I'd just leave it alone. Put that extra money into glass.

Comment

barrel length .. impossible to tell without knowing caliber ... fluted or not , impossible to tell without knowing what you plan on doing with it ... and caliber...

so considering you didn't mention any of this , i'll go with you have no idea .. so leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

looks like a Rem 700 with a "remmage" barrel conversion and aftermarket bolt knob. Is the barrel a factory or custom ? Also based on the picture, looks like the BDL bottom metal doesn't fit the stock properly. Maybe it's my eyes or how the rifle is pictured. Appears the stock was inletted for a DBM, and it currently has a BDL floorplate installed.

1st thing I would do is shoot it, and work up accuracy loads. If it currently shoots a 1-hole group, fluting can disrupt the barrel harmonics thus ruining accuracy. Since fluting is purely cosmetic, leave it alone and shoot it as-is.
                Last edited by Cajun Blake; 11-04-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  looks like a Rem 700 with a "remmage" barrel conversion and aftermarket bolt knob. Is the barrel a factory or custom ? Also based on the picture, looks like the BDL bottom metal doesn't fit the stock properly. Maybe it's my eyes or how the rifle is pictured. Appears the stock was inletted for a DBM, and it currently has a BDL floorplate installed.

1st thing I would do is shoot it, and work up accuracy loads. If it currently shoots a 1-hole group, fluting can disrupt the barrel harmonics thus ruining accuracy. Since fluting is purely cosmetic, leave it alone and shoot it as-is.

Pretty sure that’s a Savage with factory dbm bottom metal. Looks like it has an accutrigger.

Comment

If you decide to ship it somewhere for fluting Paul is a good option.

Comment

Fluting looks cool and is said to add barrel outside surface area that aids in cooling and heat dissipation. I had one gunsmith tell me it also stiffens the barrel but I would have to see that proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                        Pretty sure that’s a Savage with factory dbm bottom metal. Looks like it has an accutrigger.
                        This. I'd keep it as is and shoot it before doing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                          I'd just leave it alone. Put that extra money into glass.
                          if it choots great leave it alone and spend on AMMO

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            ……..

This. I wouldn’t flute a barrel after it’s been rifled and chambered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Fluting looks cool and is said to add barrel outside surface area that aids in cooling and heat dissipation. I had one gunsmith tell me it also stiffens the barrel but I would have to see that proven.
                              I've always been told that it gets you a higher value between weight and stiffness, not something that adds stiffness. For instance, if two barrels weigh the same, the fluted one should be stiffer

Comment

Working...
                              X