Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
    Lots of good thoughts there [emoji1318][emoji1318][emoji1318]

We sell calves at $5.95 hanging weight. About to pull our trigger on our sponsorship here on TBH.

I’d say that’s a pretty fair deal.. especially if you know the calf has been handled properly and you get to pick your cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a question for you, when you say pick your cuts. If you buy a half of a calf, don't you get the entire half, all the cuts plus trim?

Comment

You can pick up a quality show steer after show that dont sell for $2500. Most 1250-1450 on the hoof. Some of the best beef I have ever eaten

Comment

I just allways think about how many TBones I could buy....I’m not feeding the troops anymore. I’d rather have fresh hamburger anyway...

Comment

Lot's depends on the quality of the calf. Angus, Hereford, Longhorn, how long on feed, etc.

Comment

Half Cow Cost?

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
            There's a lot to consider when purchasing from a known vs. an unknown individual.
            Some Basics Questions...
            *Do you know and trust the seller
            *What breed is it, some breeds marble better than others while some are tough through and through
            *How old, cattle over 30 months are subject to bone removal so bone in cuts are not available ie. soup bones, ribs, T-bone etc.
            *Has it been subject to or free of growth hormones or antibiotics, when was last time animal ingested
            *If antibiotics are given was it separated from herd
            *How long will it age
            *What is the type of grass/feed was fed, young green grass, old straw hay and what ____ this makes a difference on richness, texture, marbling, juiciness, tenderness and overall depth of flavor
            *Careful husbandry also results in tenderness an flavor (which is not obtained through the wild west cowboys or supermarkets)
            *Who will butcher and has the seller used them previously
            *Who decides on the cuts
            *Do you get the inners, are they included in hanging weight
            *How will it be wrapped (paper, saran or vacuum seal)
            *Who will pick up, is there travel time involved, fuel prices are on the rise along with everything else

Buying from an individual...
            *Can be the best decision you'll ever make if your homework proves out to be accurate
            *Knowing that growth hormones and antibiotics are not going to be part of your diet
            *Knowing the beef has not left the country, trucked and shipped to who knows where, and processed outside the USA and only returned for you to ingest
            *Can give you benefits being high Omega-3, low Omega-6, a healthy choice

There's more to it than just the price, wouldn't you agree?
            This is just a good starting point. Remember, you own the decision.
            Good luck on your purchase, whatever it may be...

tending the fire,
            Bob G.

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop that knowledge Bob…. I really appreciate it. That’s great stuff

After talking with the rancher. It’s a beefmaster calf, I get to pick my all cuts. Being processed by Panola County Processing to USDA standards. Being fed hay and cracked corn 30 days before kill date and being hung 21 days.

Comment

Bob G has provided the most useful information so far.
              Last year, my neighbor sold some good quality calves for $750.
              He fed them his preferred grain/protein mix for 3 months to get very good marbling.
              I think the feed cost was around $225/calf.
              He charged $500 for his 3 months of labor /calf.
              The butcher charged $.98/lb (hanging weight) and most calves were in the 800 lb (live) weight.
              I've been very pleased with the taste and tenderness.
              Also good to know no antibiotics/hormones added.
              Sold 4 calves to co-workers; they are all extremely pleased.
              It's not for everybody, but I recall a 'meat shortage'/'rationing' in some grocery stores a year ago...

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
                Thank you so much for taking the time to drop that knowledge Bob…. I really appreciate it. That’s great stuff

After talking with the rancher. It’s a beefmaster calf, I get to pick my all cuts. Being processed by Panola County Processing to USDA standards. Being fed hay and cracked corn 30 days before kill date and being hung 21 days.

What's the slaughter weight of the calf after feed? That's not enough time to marble unless he's giving the cattle some type of supplement on grass - more so, a beef master is not an animal know for good carcass characteristics.

Most fed slaughter cattle are in feed yards at least 180-200 days. They go in about 5-700lbs and come out around 1350lbs. If you're used to buying grain fed beef from stores you will not be happy with the product you're describing.

Comment

My co-worker said he prefers grass fed. Years ago, we had a 1000 steer butchered and it was some of the best beef ever-grass fed

Comment

Right now the hanging weight of the calf is estimated to be 750 lbs total

Comment

Go for it. A lot of places won't allow it to age that long.

Comment

Great question

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                        I have a question for you, when you say pick your cuts. If you buy a half of a calf, don't you get the entire half, all the cuts plus trim?
                        If you buy half you do get the left or the right half. I say this left or right because some folks are picky, no kidding...
                        What I mean by the cuts is you get to choose how you want it processed. It's call a cut sheet. I don't have one in front to explain.

Overall a quick explanation is like this
                        Ribs - whole or short
                        Hind quarter - roast or steaks ( if steaks - bone in or out, tenderized Y or N)
                        Backstrap - NY or ribeye( if ribeye - bone in or out)
                        Tenderloin - whole or steaks
                        Trimming - hamburger or chili or both (# per package) as someone stated you may want all hamburger cause ya have an old cow or certain breed and it will be tough.

So you do come home with a half a calf cut up to the specified cuts you want.

One thing to remember is you don't come home with the same # of meat as the hanging weight either. It's always less due to bones removed. (although you can request those to be packaged as well to make soup or feed the dogs)

Hope this helps...

tending the fire,
                        Bob G.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
                          If you buy half you do get the left or the right half. I say this left or right because some folks are picky, no kidding...
                          What I mean by the cuts is you get to choose how you want it processed. It's call a cut sheet. I don't have one in front to explain.

Overall a quick explanation is like this
                          Ribs - whole or short
                          Hind quarter - roast or steaks ( if steaks - bone in or out, tenderized Y or N)
                          Backstrap - NY or ribeye( if ribeye - bone in or out)
                          Tenderloin - whole or steaks
                          Trimming - hamburger or chili or both (# per package) as someone stated you may want all hamburger cause ya have an old cow or certain breed and it will be tough.

So you do come home with a half a calf cut up to the specified cuts you want.

One thing to remember is you don't come home with the same # of meat as the hanging weight either. It's always less due to bones removed. (although you can request those to be packaged as well to make soup or feed the dogs)

Hope this helps...

tending the fire,
                          Bob G.
                          Thank you Bob. Very informative.

Comment

There's nothing like some good quality grain fed beef. Our kids have been raising some commercial steers for our county fair's commercial steer program. The kids learn about the beef industry, keep records on their cattle and then sell their steers to market weight.
                            We've been fortunate enough to have had several of our steers be raffled off as prizes at the South Central Cow/Calf Clinic held each October.
                            The lucky winners have always had good things to say about the quality of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Thank you Bob. Very informative.

I learned about 4/3’s of what I know from that man! A Very patient teacher he is!

Comment

Originally posted by GIL HUNTS View Post
                                There's nothing like some good quality grain fed beef. Our kids have been raising some commercial steers for our county fair's commercial steer program. The kids learn about the beef industry, keep records on their cattle and then sell their steers to market weight.
                                We've been fortunate enough to have had several of our steers be raffled off as prizes at the South Central Cow/Calf Clinic held each October.
                                The lucky winners have always had good things to say about the quality of meat.

Us as well sir
                                Ffa grain fed beef is so dang good
                                You won’t buy anymore from stores
                                At least I won’t

Comment

Working...
                                X