Pintos & Smoked Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pintos & Smoked Roast

This is just my favorite way of cooking up some pinto beans.

Pinto Beans and Smoked Roast

Ingredients:
    * Roast ( venison, pork, beef or whatever critter tickles your fancy)
    * 1 lb Bacon
    * Tony’s Cajun Butter Injectable
    * Favorite Rub (I like Fiesta brand, Uncle Chris)
    * 1 lb pintos
    * 2 cans Rotel Tomatoes
    * 4 tbs Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning
    * 1 lg onion chopped
    * 4 cloves minced garlic
    * 2-4 (your preference) jalapeños seeded and chopped (can you really have too many?)
    * 1/2 Purple Onion Chopped Fine for Garnish
    * Shredded Sharp Cheddar for Garnish

Method:
    Rub roast the night before the smoke. Wrap in cellophane and refrigerate.
    On smoking day Inject roast with Tony’s.
    Smoke roast for 2 hours at 250°, to get some smoke directly on the meat, then wrap with bacon (if using pork roast, this step is not necessary) and continue smoking until internal temp reaches 160°. If using venison, inject some more Tony’s and then wrap in foil or paper and smoke until internal temp hits 195°-203°. Remove from smoker and when the roast cools down you can refrigerate until it’s time to cube and add to the beans. If you prefer, you can shred the roast. With pork and beef you should be able to but with venison you may need to cube it into bite sized chunks about a half inch square.
    Of course you don’t have to smoke the meat your using in the beans but I like using smoked meats in my beans, stews, soups and chili. It just takes those foods to another flavor dimension.

Rinse the pintos and clean out any rocks.
    Sprinkle a generous amount of pinto bean seasoning over the pintos and soak beans in water overnight.
    Next day, drain and sort bad beans.

Put pintos, Rotel tomatoes, pinto bean seasoning, onion, garlic and jalapeños into a large pot and cover with water.
    Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat and simmer.
    While beans are cooking, cube or shred the roast (along with the bacon) and add it to the beans.
    Simmer the beans, stirring every half hour or so, until the pintos are tender and a good bean gravy forms. That’s about four hours for me but I have gone as little as two hours and as long as six hours.
    Mind your water level and add as necessary. I don’t usually need to add water but if I do, I use hot water only.
    Take a taste test and add some more seasoning if the beans seem a little weak on flavor. It may be just right for you but I generally need to add a bit more towards the end of the cook.

Garnish with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and fresh chopped purple onion, if you choose, and serve with cornbread.

Yeah it’s a tad complicated and takes a few days but it’s mighty good eats and even better the next day.
    Last edited by Geezy Rider; 03-11-2021, 01:53 AM.

Dang. Sounds good thanks for sharing amigo.

Comment

Working...
    X