Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiancé got it done!

Sorry for the long read!

This was my fiancé’s first time carrying her own rifle to the stand. She practiced with her Savage 308 all summer, I felt comfortable with where she was at with her shooting. She came up to the ranch with me in Houston County this weekend. And we had non stop action.

Opening morning we saw 8 does that fed all morning.

When we started to head back out I noticed the wind shifted so I made a quick judgement call to go hunt the pipeline that runs through the property. So here we are her in the nice shooting chair and me on a dove stool in a 4x4 box blind. We hadn’t been there 10minutes when a decent 9point came out. He ate at the hand corn for 45mins. He is so close to 13inches. I just couldn’t make the call if he was legal or not.

We saw a 6 point and 3 does. And the 6 point would not stop bumping the does. They stayed until about 6. After it got quiet I noticed a big buck come out about 180yards away then he circled back in. I told my fiancé to go ahead and get your gun up he could come down this way. Sure enough. He stepped out about 50 yards away not 5 mins later. He was working a scrape on the edge of the pipeline so I knew I had a little time to calm her down as she was starting to shake from excitement.

Well she took the shot and I could tell it was a good shot as the deer picked up his front shoulder and I heard him go down. I figured 30 mins and I’ll go check. Well stupid me.... I left her in the stand with the gun. I go out there and he’s bedded down 10 yards off the pipeline. I ease back and tell her let’s just wait it out. Waited for my dad to get there with the mule. He and I go up to where I saw the deer and he’s not there. There isn’t blood hair or anything. We push into where I last saw him and we hear him breaking brush... we decided if we keep pushing him and we don’t have blood we won’t find him. So we backed out for the night. (The deer had made his way into a thicket our lights wouldn’t even penetrate through, and we couldn’t see 3 feet in front of us).

Come to this morning I hunted the pipeline to see if I could see anything. Got down about 8am. And started looking for him. He was 10 feet from where we stopped last night.... the shot ended up being really high going between the shoulder blades and the spine. So there was no blood, she ended up hitting one lung.

All in all I am glad we found her first deer! And I think she is hooked now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by futureagg; 11-03-2019, 03:54 PM.

Congrats!

Comment

Posting the pics for futureagg....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2382.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	24596992
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2383.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	24596993

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats to your fiancé!!!

Comment

very nice buck...good on her!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice

Comment

She did good!

Comment

Nice one congratulations to the both of y’all

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice Buck. Congrats

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Congrats to her!

Comment

Congrats all around.

Comment

Great work love those dark antlers. Congrats to your lady.

Comment

Working...
                              X