BEWARE – Timber Fraudsters –> B&N Logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEWARE – Timber Fraudsters –> B&N Logging

A word of warning to the Green Screen community, do not do business with B&N Logging out of Livingston. They are fraudsters.

Several months ago I got a call from “Ryan West” (female) from B&N saying they would be working in the area (Houston County, west of Grapeland) near our family land and she wanted to know whether we would be interested in selling our timber. I told her I might consider selling the pines and gave her permission to assess they property and make me an offer. She came back with an offer to pay us $16k, all upfront. I passed as I thought this was too low.

A month or so later she calls back saying they have another crew in the area, a “high volume crew” that doesn’t usually do tracts under 60 acres (ours is 42), but since they work on a $/ton basis, it was an opportunity for us to get more than the upfront offer. I said that this sounds interesting, could they give me an estimate of actual dollars since I don’t really know how to assess my 42 acres in $/ton terms. She said she would speak with the office and get back to me. She called back and says “the old guy in the office say it would be north of $20k” and her estimate was about $22k. The was in the neighborhood of what we wanted to get so I said we would move forward.

She sent a contract, I signed. They logged it, and sent only $11k in checks. I’ve spoken with the owner, Billy Rowe, and he won’t make good. Says she (Ryan) is young and shouldn’t have given me estimates of what I would get, but that’s all we were going to get.

I’m fine with estimates, I do that for a living, but a 50% difference is fraud. I obviously passed on $16k, I only moved forward because she represented that it would be around $22k.

I have had discussions with the Texas Forest Service law enforcement folks, a forester, and a lawyer, but anyone here that may have advice I will certainly listen. Also, any foresters looking to earn some money doing a stump appraisal, I am thinking about going that route. I would like to see these guys hit with civil and criminal challenges to hope they don’t do this to others.

I don't have any advice but that sucks.. I've heard timber is like cars.. and I hate a car salesman ..

Comment

You said she sent a contract and you signed it. What did the contract state that they would pay you?

Comment

I'd say screw yall and not let them on my land and will see you in court if they want to take it that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Honestly not sure. All my dealings were by phone, text, and USPS.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
            You said she sent a contract and you signed it. What did the contract state that they would pay you?
            As noted, the contract was on $/ton basis, so the contract was $/ton rates for various types (pulp, saw timber, CalTex, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedAg08 View Post
              I'd say screw yall and not let them on my land and will see you in court if they want to take it that far.
              Problem is, the timber has been harvested. They were cutting checks each week.

Comment

Whadda ya know? Some East texas hucksters.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                  Whadda ya know? Some East texas hucksters.
                  You make a lot of derogatory comments about East Texas...like a disproportionate number of aimed derogatory comments. My guess is some pulp wood hauler stole your girlfriend once. Maybe got lost on a Snipe hunt in the deep pineywoods and got pine sap on your butt when you had to wipe with a pinecone. Maybe you got wait-listed at SFA or are bitter because you've never gotten to personally see a black panther. I bet a good therapist could help you deal with whatever it is that eats you up about East Texas and its fine folks.

Comment

That escalated quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      You make a lot of derogatory comments about East Texas...like a disproportionate number of aimed derogatory comments. My guess is some pulp wood hauler stole your girlfriend once. Maybe got lost on a Snipe hunt in the deep pineywoods and got pine sap on your butt when you had to wipe with a pinecone. Maybe you got wait-listed at SFA or are bitter because you've never gotten to personally see a black panther. I bet a good therapist could help you deal with whatever it is that eats you up about East Texas and its fine folks.

He’s still not wrong about east tx [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

HAHAHAHHA.....You'll notice I never argued the validity of his comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Wow! That was a dirty crack! Speaking of dirty cracks, ...

Comment

I get the frustration but if I was thinking of suing someone, I probably wouldn’t be making a public post about them calling them fraudsters. They could turn around and sue you for defamation.

Did you get a second opinion of value prior to signing a contract? Sounds like that would have been a smart play.

Comment

Working...
                            X