No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been out there since the gov shut down. It is federal land with federal employees so I would imagine if they are furloughed then they have block the entrances.

Comment

Sooo what’s the difference from them walking the canyons an riding horses ? Y’all are complaining because they are walking around canyons on horses ? But y’all are walking around on foot hunting ?

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
        I'm all for restricting horses/mules to a specific area just like motorcycle/atv during season.

Atv an horses are completely different horses are not a machine out running around game animals see horses all the time
        Think how many people use horses or mules go hunt elk in other states tons

Y’all are just mad y’all don’t have horses an y’all have to walk and carry your game out
        If you don’t like it huny private land

Comment

Originally posted by Swamphunterfw View Post
          Sooo what’s the difference from them walking the canyons an riding horses ? Y’all are complaining because they are walking around canyons on horses ? But y’all are walking around on foot hunting ?
          It has nothing to do with the fact they are on horses and everything to do with how they are utilizing them. They are using them to purposely push deer like a deer drive. I have no problem with them riding horses but when they start purposely driving deer it ruins hunting for everyone else for a while.

Comment

Atv an horses are completely different horses are not a machine out running around game animals see horses all the time
            Think how many people use horses or mules go hunt elk in other states tons

Y’all are just mad y’all don’t have horses an y’all have to walk and carry your game out
            If you don’t like it huny private land
            Just a guess but I'm thinking you'v never been to Meredith. Correct me and tell me all about it if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
              Just a guess but I'm thinking you'v never been to Meredith. Correct me and tell me all about it if I'm wrong.

Never have hunted there

So if they were walking on foot doing the same it would be ok ?

Comment

Never have hunted there

So if they were walking on foot doing the same it would be ok ?
                No it would not be ok even if on foot. However, It would not be nearly as efficient to use that strategy on foot due to the terrain and brush. That is probably why you never see it used by walk in hunters. I am perfectly fine with using horses to get around out there and honest wish I could use them myself. I do however think that hunting from horseback should not be allowed to discourage this type of strategy from being used. In the long run it will make the hunting better for everyone.

Comment

I do not think it is so much riding horses in the canyons or up top of the canyons to hunt as it is half a dozen people lining across the canyon on horseback driving deer through the canyon and shooting them.

Comment

Anyone get a nice whitetail or muley buck?

Comment

Anyone else headed out for Turkey season? Thought I might give it a shot.

Comment

I hadn't planned on it but I got one a few years ago in Plum Creek. They were coming into the main camp closest to the lake bed eating on cake and feed left in the horse pens. They were traveling down the trail on the north side of the tree line.

Comment

Anyone heard any fishing reports out at Meredith?

Comment

Once it warms up we wanted to see if we could get a crappie to bite in Chimney Hollow, haven't been fishing out there since before the drought.

Comment

Plan on going out this year and was wondering where the best spot to see both mulies and whitetail would be? Thanks? Any advice is appreciated !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbright11 View Post
                                Plan on going out this year and was wondering where the best spot to see both mulies and whitetail would be? Thanks? Any advice is appreciated !!!
                                I will handle this as nicely as possible. Having your first post be a request for a spot to hunt normally doesn’t go over very well. I will say checkout the maps and compare them with topo maps to pick a place to start looking. Only real way to find a good hunting spot is to put in the miles and check it out for yourself. Most here are happy to help with info regarding any other topic like tactics, things to bring, places to camp. However, most likely nobody is going to offer up spots they have scouted, worked hard for, and put a lot of miles in to find. I realize you are just asking for some help but I’m just trying to help you understand that this may not be the best manner in which to do it. If you have questions on specific areas like where to park, camp, or rules regarding certain areas feel free to ask those.

Comment

Working...
                                X