No announcement yet.

.44 Mag for Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of sights do you have on the lever gun? that is a pretty good poke for 100yds.

Comment

Man that’s cool!

Comment

Congrats on the cow.

Those are some big animals...

Comment

That's a nice kill. Like the gun. I have wanted a Winchester 94 in 44 Mag for a long time, I did not think Winchester ever made them. Interesting to know the bullets went all the way through. Were all of the shots through the rib cage or were any through the shoulder?

Comment

I have a Winchester 94AE, the "packer" version. The Winchesters handle the longer overall cartridge length better than Ruger or Marlin .44 magnum rifles, so they are excellent choices for 300+gr. bullets Within it's range limitations, the .44 magnum is very potent hunting cartridge.

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                what kind of sights do you have on the lever gun? that is a pretty good poke for 100yds.
                Williams FP

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                That's a nice kill. Like the gun. I have wanted a Winchester 94 in 44 Mag for a long time, I did not think Winchester ever made them. Interesting to know the bullets went all the way through. Were all of the shots through the rib cage or were any through the shoulder?
                Two got the shoulder. I have put that bullet full-length through a 180 or so lb sow, so I wasn’t too worried about penetration!

Comment

Love it !! I bet that was a very rewarding feeling getting it done old school.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                    Love it !! I bet that was a very rewarding feeling getting it done old school.
                    I was thinking about using my .50 Hawken, but opted for a repeater

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      Williams FP

Two got the shoulder. I have put that bullet full-length through a 180 or so lb sow, so I wasn’t too worried about penetration!
                      I used to do a lot of loading for my 44 Mags. I only loaded 180 gr. hollow points and 240 gr. hollow points. I did a lot of reading on hunting bigger game with 44 Mags. I never got the opportunity, so I never loaded any of the heavier stuff. Always wanted to hunt some bigger stuff, with that round. If I lived where there were elk or moose, I would have long ago, gotten into casting my own bullets. I read a lot about it years ago, a lot about Elmer Keith and his work with cast bullets and specifically the 44 Mag. But I know a 44 Mag rifle and a 44 Mag pistol are not exactly the same. The difference in velocity between the two can make a noticeable difference in how a given bullet performs. I used to have a Ruger 44 Mag. carbine, loved that rifle, but when I had it, I was not loading my own ammo.
                      I find it very interesting that Winchester has made some 44 Mag Model 94s, the last time I checked many years ago, I don't think they had made any at that point. I think only Marlin had at that point, I am not a Marlin fan. I thought about looking into getting a Model 94 rebarreled for 44 Mag. Definitely like that little gun you have, too bad it's not one of the earlier rifles without the safety.
                      I still want a 44 Mag. rifle, even though I got a 458 SOCOM. I miss having a 44. I have wanted to have both a 44 pistol and rifle. Years ago, I started hunting deer with that Ruger 44 carbine, sold it got a 7mm Rem. Mag. Then later bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk, then a second one. So I have had both a 44 rifle and 44 pistols, but not at the same time. Once I get to loading for the 458, I want to try some cast bullets. The two bullets I wanted to try in it, are some 350 gr. soft points and some 405 gr. cast bullets.

Again congratulations on the elk, pretty cool deal, good eating and if I understand correctly, killed in Texas. If so, that's very cool. I hope we have a good elk population in Texas in the next 10 years or so. It would be nice to hunt elk in Texas.

Comment

Dam n that is a good looking gun, and nice elk

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s awesome. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                                I used to do a lot of loading for my 44 Mags. I only loaded 180 gr. hollow points and 240 gr. hollow points. I did a lot of reading on hunting bigger game with 44 Mags. I never got the opportunity, so I never loaded any of the heavier stuff. Always wanted to hunt some bigger stuff, with that round. If I lived where there were elk or moose, I would have long ago, gotten into casting my own bullets. I read a lot about it years ago, a lot about Elmer Keith and his work with cast bullets and specifically the 44 Mag. But I know a 44 Mag rifle and a 44 Mag pistol are not exactly the same. The difference in velocity between the two can make a noticeable difference in how a given bullet performs. I used to have a Ruger 44 Mag. carbine, loved that rifle, but when I had it, I was not loading my own ammo.
                                I find it very interesting that Winchester has made some 44 Mag Model 94s, the last time I checked many years ago, I don't think they had made any at that point. I think only Marlin had at that point, I am not a Marlin fan. I thought about looking into getting a Model 94 rebarreled for 44 Mag. Definitely like that little gun you have, too bad it's not one of the earlier rifles without the safety.
                                I still want a 44 Mag. rifle, even though I got a 458 SOCOM. I miss having a 44. I have wanted to have both a 44 pistol and rifle. Years ago, I started hunting deer with that Ruger 44 carbine, sold it got a 7mm Rem. Mag. Then later bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk, then a second one. So I have had both a 44 rifle and 44 pistols, but not at the same time. Once I get to loading for the 458, I want to try some cast bullets. The two bullets I wanted to try in it, are some 350 gr. soft points and some 405 gr. cast bullets.

Again congratulations on the elk, pretty cool deal, good eating and if I understand correctly, killed in Texas. If so, that's very cool. I hope we have a good elk population in Texas in the next 10 years or so. It would be nice to hunt elk in Texas.
                                Yep, this is a 90’s rifle with the saddle ring.

I shoot some cast out of my AR10, so I’d imagine the SOCOM would do well.

Comment

Working...
                                X