Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default Who has bow hunted nilgai????

Who out there has bow hunted nilgai and has been successful harvesting one with a bow? What was your setup including your bow poundage, draw length, arrow setup with spine and total weight of the arrow, and finally what broadhead did you use? What kind of penetration did you get and where did you hit the animal at? Thanks for all the information!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
JAGR
Ten Point
 
JAGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Hunt In: South Texas
Default


Iíve killed a few.

A 70 lbs bow with a 450+ grain arrow will do the trick. You want a broadhead that 1.5Ē or better to get them to bleed. Theyíre a blast to bowhunt!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JAGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGR View Post

Iíve killed a few.

A 70 lbs bow with a 450+ grain arrow will do the trick. You want a broadhead that 1.5Ē or better to get them to bleed. Theyíre a blast to bowhunt!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Cool. Thanks. What kind of penetration are you getting with a 450gr arrow?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
TXhunter77
Ten Point
 
TXhunter77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Houston & Wilbarger County
Default

Xpedition Denali
70# 29.5
Black Eagle Carnivores tipped with 100grn Ramcats - total weight of 530
267 fps


Nilgai was around 35 yards facing me...shot him in the neck
Attached Images
 
TXhunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhunter77 View Post
Xpedition Denali

70# 29.5

Black Eagle Carnivores tipped with 100grn Ramcats - total weight of 530

267 fps





Nilgai was around 35 yards facing me...shot him in the neck


Heck yeah!!!! Neck shot?!?! Was that the only shot you made?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
TxSon1836
Eight Point
 
TxSon1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: McKinney
Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public
Default

great looking animals gents!
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
pilar
Ten Point
 
pilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default

I had a client double lung one ( no idea on any of the technical data you seek ) except I think he was using a three blade 150 gr with 65 lbs , and I very intensely watched the shot
Then watch the bull run off streaming blood up over a sand dune into a giant tidal flat never to be seen again. I personally shot one in the neck with a .300wm partially paralyzed it
And then finish it off with a .22 mag and it pumped blood out of the .22 mag hole for at least 5 minutes, they are tough and need good trailing conditions if they run or a good blood dog if you lose the blood trail

Last edited by pilar; 07-11-2019 at 04:59 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
I had a client double lung one ( no idea on any of the technical data you seek ) except I think he was using a three blade 150 gr with 65 lbs , and I very intensely watched the shot
Then watch the bull run off streaming blood up over a sand dune into a giant tidal flat never to be seen again. I personally shot one in the neck with a .300wm partially paralyzed it
And then finish it off with a .22 mag and it pumped blood out of the .22 mag hole for at least 5 minutes, they are tough and need good trailing conditions if they run or a good blood dog if you lose the blood trail


Wow. Yeah Iíve heard theyíre hard to kill!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
JAGR
Ten Point
 
JAGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Depends on what broadhead you shoot. Donít get real caught up with penetration. Worry about making an accurate shot.

What is your current set up you are taking?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JAGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGR View Post
Depends on what broadhead you shoot. Donít get real caught up with penetration. Worry about making an accurate shot.

What is your current set up you are taking?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


As of right now Iím shooting a 70 lb 29Ē draw bowtech realm x with a 522 gr Easton axis with an iron will broadhead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young
 
Throwin Darts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aledo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
As of right now Iím shooting a 70 lb 29Ē draw bowtech realm x with a 522 gr Easton axis with an iron will broadhead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I would think thatís a great setup for them
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #12
JAGR
Ten Point
 
JAGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
As of right now Iím shooting a 70 lb 29Ē draw bowtech realm x with a 522 gr Easton axis with an iron will broadhead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You should have no issues with that setup. Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JAGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #13
haas0311
Pope & Young
 
haas0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: From La Vernia, Now live in Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Floresville and anywhere invited!
Default

Please take us along!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
haas0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 AM   #14
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
Please take us along!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I wish I could. Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #15
manwitaplan
Pope & Young
 
manwitaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
I wish I could. Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think he means a live hunt! With pics and updates. Maybe not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 PM   #16
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
I think he means a live hunt! With pics and updates. Maybe not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Oh ok. Yes Iíll post as much as I can. Hopefully there will be something to post


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
jdunn6092
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ingleside
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Iím really surprised more people arenít committed. I know thereís quit of few people thatís killed a nilgai with a bow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com