Montana Fishing Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montana Fishing Recommendations

Wife and I are headed to Montana in a couple weeks and want to spend a couple days fishing. Looking to book a couple guided trips. Flying in and out of Bozeman but will probably venture a couple hours around each way doing different things.

Does anyone have any recommended guides/outfitters/trips that we should look into or try to book with? Any outfits to stay away from?

Did some searching and found lots of great recommendations for food and other things to do but wasn’t able to find much for fishing guides.

I’ve got a bunch of family in SW Montana in Hamilton. We’ve gone up to visit and fished quite a bit, never with a guide though. The Bitterroot River was good fishing and there are creeks all over around there that had a bunch of fish. Not a fly fisherman but they won’t pass up a little rooster tail.

Comment

Adam, call me at 903-240-5744

Comment

Look-up Kevin Stubbs.

He was on thr devils river the other day but I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. He guides up there along with the rest of the globe. Heck of a nice guy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You are going to need to find a tail water or maybe a spring creek. You will be square in the middle of the runoff.
          Last edited by El General; 05-13-2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Craig is about 2.5 hours from Bozeman and the Missouri is a tailwater there. That would be a good place to check. The Paradise Valley Spring Creeks near Livingston should be fish able.

Island Park, ID and The Henry’s Fork is 2.5 hours away. That might be your best bet. I would contact Trouthunter there. You could get a guide that will float the Box in the morning and take you out for a walking trip on the Ranch in the afternoon. I’d call Trouthunter in Island Park. Great shop

You could actually catch the Salmon fly hatch on the lower river during that time period, which is something everyone should see once in there life.

Comment

Adam, intended to get back with you at 'Nanza, but got busykeeping the boss in line.

PM Clay C and Jaker_cc. I believe both of them have fished out of Bozeman.

If you want to go south of Bozeman and fish the Madison, I can assist.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                I’ve got a bunch of family in SW Montana in Hamilton. We’ve gone up to visit and fished quite a bit, never with a guide though. The Bitterroot River was good fishing and there are creeks all over around there that had a bunch of fish. Not a fly fisherman but they won’t pass up a little rooster tail.
                I had one of my best fly fishing days ever on the Bitterroot just south of Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Look-up Kevin Stubbs.

He was on thr devils river the other day but I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. He guides up there along with the rest of the globe. Heck of a nice guy
                  Originally posted by El General View Post
                  Craig is about 2.5 hours from Bozeman and the Missouri is a tailwater there. That would be a good place to check. The Paradise Valley Spring Creeks near Livingston should be fish able.

Island Park, ID and The Henry’s Fork is 2.5 hours away. That might be your best bet. I would contact Trouthunter there. You could get a guide that will float the Box in the morning and take you out for a walking trip on the Ranch in the afternoon. I’d call Trouthunter in Island Park. Great shop

You could actually catch the Salmon fly hatch on the lower river during that time period, which is something everyone should see once in there life.
                  I appreciate the solid leads guys

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Adam, call me at 903-240-5744
                  I'll call you in a bit.

Comment

I have been to Big Sky Montana many times. Headed back in August for a week of fishing. Always use Gallatin River Guides. Always top notch guides. Wade or float. I will do the 5 rivers in 5 days in August. Beautiful country up there. Hard for me to go anywhere else for fly fishing

Are you looking for the best rivers to fish on? Want to reel in a big catch? We’re a full-service fly fishing outfitter in Big Sky Montana that’s open year-round. Book today!

Comment

I used to live in Missoula. Give Robert Gary with Latitudes Outfitting a call. Great guy! Based in Hamilton and caught many a fish all over W. MT with him.
                      Latitudes Outfitting Company is western Montana's premier fly fishing and hunting outfitter. With over 25 years of experience , our team is here to provide clients with an outstanding adventure.

Comment

We always use these guys in Gallatin gateway below big Sky
                        Wild Trout Outfitters - Montana fishing trips,Fly fishing Montana's Gallatin,Madison,& Yellowstone River's Located in Big Sky, MT. 

call the shop and speak to JD, he will line an excellent trip out for you. If the runoff isn't bad then floating the Madison River is a must do.

Comment

Adam, here are 3 of the guide shops that I mentioned:

https://www.blueribbonflies.com...ask for Bucky

https://bigskyanglers.com...ask for Justin

https://www.slideinn.com...ask for Kelly Galloup

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Adam, here are 3 of the guide shops that I mentioned:

https://www.blueribbonflies.com...ask for Bucky

https://bigskyanglers.com...ask for Justin

https://www.slideinn.com...ask for Kelly Galloup
                            And, if you are going to fish the Madison during the runoff with Kelly Galloup, read his book on streamer fishing. Fantastic book.

Comment

Working...
                            X