Invisible Dog Fence ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible Dog Fence ??

Do they work? Any recommendations? How large of an area can you enclose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think they would work at first. Mine hasn't been on in the last 4 years and you can't drag my dogs out the gate. Turn it on high from the get go and weld their eyes shut when they get close to the fence is the key. If they just get a tickle they'll learn to rush it and get past the wire.

I have a buddie that has a 10 acres loop and it works.

Comment

Invisible Dog Fence ??

Work great on most dogs but the occasional dog will learn that if they run through the shock is very short and they will continue to run through it.

I have had great luck by following the orientation training procedure which teaches the dog where the boundary is and to avoid the shock by retreating back into the yard.

Comment

I recently had a system installed around my home (roughly 12ksqft of yard) and am very impressed thus far. The brand is Dogwatch, and I have the Smartfence model. My dog is a german shorthaired pointer and like Hoggslayer said, the up-front training is key. There are also some cool features on the app you can download that tracks your dog's activity, if a section of the boundary is disabled, if the dog's collar battery is getting low, and a lot more. The module that controls the fence runs off of your home's power and not wireless, which is nice considering how unreliable wireless connectivity can be. Also in case your power goes down, the module can run off of a built in battery for a period of time, not exactly sure how long. Hope this helps.

Comment

I ran a loop around my 13 acre property and couldn't be happier. Works great going on 5 years. I used the petsafe brand and upgraded to a bigger Guage wire. Buried about 3 inches deep the entire perimeter. Both my Pyrenees know exactly how far they can go. Even if their collar is off or battery dead I've never had an issue of them leaving the property

Comment

The "Halo" Collar looks very interesting. Portable take your fence anywhere and uses GPS to set boundaries. Then should a dog get out of the boundary it only shocks them when they are headed away...as long as they are returning no shock. It also provides real time GPS location of your dog. I will be giving it a try once my dog reaches 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
              The "Halo" Collar looks very interesting. Portable take your fence anywhere and uses GPS to set boundaries. Then should a dog get out of the boundary it only shocks them when they are headed away...as long as they are returning no shock. It also provides real time GPS location of your dog. I will be giving it a try once my dog reaches 6 months.

$800...wow.

Comment

We have the pet fence where you bury the wire and put a collar on the dogs. I hated it while they were learning but the collar will give a warning beep so they figured it out pretty quickly. They also figure out really quickly when they don't hear that warning beep it's a free for all and they're gone. These two will go right through a brand new privacy fence if they want to. I'm going to put in a whole new fence and probably line the entire thing with hog panels.

Comment

We've had one 5-6 years. A pack of three labs, very challenging when you have a "pack." Mom is most respectful of the three, #2 goes straight through it and has to stay fenced. #3, Luther, has not been fenced or caged successfully to date. Breaks out of the vet clinic pen when we boarded him last..... #4 got hit by a car and killed when a contractor left the gate open and all 4 dogs made a break for it.
                  Neighbor texted this morning at 5:30am, I think I got #3 Luther. I just picked up the BIG 7 second Shock collar to put on his Azz, and did so at lunch. Fence guy says we have more problems then most. (don't say) Follow the info directions and if you have a hard head, hit em hard early.
                  Last edited by wdtorque; 03-25-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Ride my bike past a place that has two large dogs that come charging the road and their gate is wide open---never seen one even offer to come through, so theirs works for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      $800...wow.

No doubt the $800 is a little steep..but I really like the ability to set up a fence where ever I go..Ranch, Lake etc along with the GPS location for tracking is awesome.

Ever lost a dog at the ranch? The ability to find him right away is priceless to me.

Comment

I have the Sportdog system from academy and it works well. Main problem is sheep chewing on the wire. (I just ran the wire at bottom of existing fence)

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                          $800...wow.

Half the price I paid for my Invisible Fence.

Comment

I ended up getting my money back after several attempts of them trying to train my “dog” to stay in. It didn’t work and the owner agreed to refund 70% my money back. He said he’s only refunded money 4 times due to the fact that it wouldn’t hold the animal. All 4 times it was wolf hybrids like the one I had.

That being said, it should keep a domestic dog in. I had a Timberwolf/Malamute mix that didn’t care one bit about getting shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                              No doubt the $800 is a little steep..but I really like the ability to set up a fence where ever I go..Ranch, Lake etc along with the GPS location for tracking is awesome.

Ever lost a dog at the ranch? The ability to find him right away is priceless to me.
                              I totally agree. $800 is well worth the portability.

Comment

Working...
                              X