Tips for starting to predator hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to start doing more predator hunting this year. Wondering if anyone has any good tricks and tips for calling, setups, lights, etc they may be willing to offer a starter.

Thanks in advance.

Use the wind in your favor, don’t burn up the same spot, and you need to get lots of ground to hunt.

Comment

Good set of hand calls and/or an Ecall. I like fox pro I use one of there high end ones but you can get by with a cheaper one. If night hunting we always hunt out of a high seat with 2 swivel chairs. 2 shooters and 1 spotter or 2 shooters and 2 spotters. I really like the Sniper Hog lights 66LRX I prefer a red light, but white works just as well. Get this little handle from allpredatorcalls.com use it for scanning. I hate a gun mounted light.

Predator Hunting and Calling Superstore. Quality Coyote, Hog, and Predator Hunting Electronic Calls, Mouth Calls, Night Hunting Lights, Hunting Supplies, Optics and Gear. We Offer Fast Shipping, Great Prices and Knowledgeable Staff.

For day time stands I set up wind at my back facing into the field I am calling with good openings crossing to my down wind side. A good pair of shooting sticks and full camo, and hide as best you can. When calling try and sit as still as you can. I like to place the call 30-40 yds in front of me facing into the wind if a cross wind. At night I set the call in front of the truck facing into the wind.

Go read through this thread when you get a chance lots of good info.

Also feel free to hit me up on facebook I can fill you in on any questions you may have. Been doing this a long time and honestly is the only hunting I really do full time and get legitimately excited about every year.

Comment

Wash your butt

Comment

Wind!! Always watch the wind! You can get by with it on most cats. You will NOT get by with letting a coyote into your downwind side. And don’t blast your call loud. They can hear better than you think. Start low in case something is close. You can increase the volume as time goes by on that particular stand if you need to.

Comment

I set up different than a lot of guys. I either have the wind blowing to me or at a crosswind. I guess it boils down to preference and your style of huntin. I have a Wicked Light as a kill light and you can buy a Stanley FatMax from Wal-Mart for fairly cheap and it'll work just fine for a scan light. It has a red cap that you can put on it. It's illegal to night hunt in Oklahoma but in places where I can I use that or if I'm huntin with certain buddies I use thermal too which is really cool.

Comment

The three main things is to stay quiet,pay attention to the wind and don't get seen. Don't skyline yourself when you set up. I always sit with my back against sagebrush or a fence post,tree,etc. I always try to set up with the sun at my back too. Your face and hands will shine in the sun and if coyotes see that they will hang up.
              Last edited by okrattler; 01-08-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Main thing to remember is don't get discouraged. It takes a while to learn and even then a lot of "stands" are duds.

If you think its loud enough turn it down a little when starting a stand

Play the wind

Buy a Foxpro

I prefer hunting during the daylight

Look behind you occasionally

Don't leave after a shot

If animals are call shy in your area try some off the wall sound

Watch way out, a lot of times cats will hang up a couple hundred yards out and just sit and watch

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                  Wash your butt
                  Best advice so far. Gonna do that right now

Comment

pm sent

Comment

If you buy an electronic coller, resist the urge to crank up the volume right away. Start at something very quiet, like 10% volume. Most people start out blasting too loud and end up scaring away all the things they were trying to attract.

Comment

Best tip is have Plenty of land to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          Best tip is have Plenty of land to hunt
                          Can not have to much land!

Comment

I am ready to try it this winter! Thanks!

Comment

Shotgun is my weapon of choice where we hunt because it’s pretty thick....if I hunt with a buddy we have a rifle as well.
                              Don’t call too loud.
                              Use a motion decoy like the feather on a stick thing to take attention off you when they are close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X