low budget camp/cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low budget camp/cabin

A little back ground.. family owned property. I grew up hunting and staying in my grandmothers home. Fast forward a few decades, property lines split up and everyone has new home places. I have electric/water well and been using campers in various conditions over the years. This year I want to build a low maintenance, economical "camp" of sorts I guess. I am thinking pole barn with some container/connex boxes. I want it easy to lock up, have AC/Heat, running water. It will go months with no one being there. it will be used in the summer and winter. I would like for it to be easy to cool off and warm up. A wood stove would be nice but not necessary. The pole barn would be to help with weathering and keeping the sun off of it in the summer. This is located south of San Antonio in the brush country. Summer heat is a challenge

You have a well and electricity you are set. I wouldn’t bother with a wood burning stove in a small cabin, takes up necessary space.

Comment

how much indoor living space are you needing? I got a brand new 3/2 singlewide in 2017 for $32k for the family. my dad got a used one on his for half that.
      I'm built a wrap around porch and am currently in the process of roofing the whole thing in

Comment

I think I spent around 7500 on a 12x24 Tuff Shed. Not sure how much I spent finishing it out...and not sure i want to know.

Comment

A pole barn over a single wide is the ticket with lots of over hang for parking vehicles and equipment out of the sun.

Comment

How many people will need sleeping space? Septic system? Is the ground caliche based? Do you have any building experience?

Electric oil heaters for heat are the safest way, not a fire or oxygen hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
              How many people will need sleeping space? Septic system? Is the ground caliche based? Do you have any building experience?

Electric oil heaters for heat are the safest way, not a fire or oxygen hazard.
              Sleep up to 10 at most for short term, I would like for it to be comfortable for 6 people. I do not have a real septic yet but that will be addressed. No real building experience other than light handyman stuff around house. I do better at mechanical/welding than wood work. It is a sandy loam soil for the first 2' then some of the hardest white clay I have had the pleasure of digging post holes in. I have been using crushed asphalt for my roads in camp area, a drive to back up to loading chute and for the carport where tractors are kept.

Comment

Unless you are willing to learn how to cut and gut a container a mobile home might be cheaper. I suggest you find one of the local container places that do conversions and see what it takes to convert one.

Comment

Put a 40 foot shipping container out there and finish it out.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                    Put a 40 foot shipping container out there and finish it out.
                    this

Comment

container cabin,too much work for some
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                        container cabin,too much work for some
                        Do you have more pics? This is similar to what I have going in my head. How did you do interior and insulation?

Comment

In that area dont forget to leave food and water out for the travelers. That how you keep them from busting a window to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                            I am thinking pole barn with some container/connex boxes.
                            I would start with the container, and pole barn. Which you can convert or keep for storage later, could even put your container in a U shape then build a roof. If you have family groups with kids, separate cabins can be nice. Septic will be a pretty big expense it sounds like.

For reference I had a 16x40 cabin shell build for $25K, and spending probably $15K building it out. Before that I slept in a storage container.

Comment

It is not my money so I will spend yours. I would get 2 of the 20 foot containers with a 15 foot dog trot between the 2. Then a pole barn that will cover that area, 25x35.

The bunkhouse, I would keep it simple, one door facing the dog trot. Frame the inside with 2x2s on the wall, insulate, wire for power, and CHEAP press wood paneling, 2x4 bunkbeds, with a plywood mattress covered with a foam pad. A few folding chairs, or the plastic lawn chairs, they can do double duty outside on the dog trot.

The "main house", the other 20 footer, door facing the dog trot with a couple of windows with outside bars. Frame inside with 2x2's, insulation. Plumb in shower toilet and sink on one end. Bedroom area on the other end, wall if you want, or leave in open space. Use center area for kitchen/den/dining/great room.

The dog trot area in the middle between the 2 containers, a 15x20 area. I would build an outdoor kitchen with grill, cooler space etc.. Keep this in portable units, incase you want to store it when you leave. Wire in a lot of outside plugs in this covered area, make sure to include at least 2 ceiling fans. A place to mount a TV for football games. A firepit, but I would wait on this, you will want it under the dog trot area, and will need a chimney or at least a pipe smokestack. You have snakes, so I would eventually brick that dirt area and build a short half wall and screen the ends in to keep out the bugs and critters.

Comment

Working...
                              X