Today's garage sale find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some are collector items
    Only year thermos had a contract to produce them from what I understand. Probably worth about $40 or so in condition it is in

Comment

Nice score!

Comment

That's cool. Great find.

Comment

But does it still work?

Comment

Cool...

Comment

Bryan, I had one just like that when I lived in Florida!

Comment

Not sure if it will work or not, need to figure out what mantles to get and if/where I can get parts if needed

Comment

I think I used a regular Colman mantle. I could also use different types of fuel with mine.

Comment

Made for the US military probabaly in the 50's. Possibly has a date stamp on the bottom. If so should read two numbers 01-12 a two inch space followed by two more numbers (these will be year numbers ) 20's thru the early 60's.this is true for all colemans and the other contractors followed this lead MOST of the time. I have one still in the original box
                    Last edited by Ron Foley; 04-06-2015, 07:24 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

It's a Coleman Mil spec lantern

Comment

SORRY missed the pic with the date.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Google is king for info...

Thermos L.L.C. is the leading manufacturer worldwide of insulated food and beverage containers and other consumer products. The company was founded in 1904.

The word "thermos" is a genericized trademark used as a name for a vacuum flask.

The thermos is commonly called the Dewar flask among chemists in recognition of its inventor, James Dewar. Dewar failed to register a patent for his invention and it was subsequently patented by Thermos, to whom Dewar lost a court case in claiming the rights to the invention.

In 1955, The American Thermos Bottle Company acquired control of Hemp and Company, Inc. of Macomb, IL, manufacturers of the "Little Brown Jug" and other insulated jugs and chests as well as Duncan Hines outdoor grills. To reflect the growing diversity of products, the names of the North American companies were changed in 1956. The American Thermos Bottle Company became The American Thermos Products Company, and the Canadian Thermos Bottle Co. Ltd. changed its name to Canadian Thermos Products Limited.

Comment

Working...
                            X