Knife makers opinion needed on grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife makers opinion needed on grinders

I have decided to bite the bullet and lay out some cash on a grinder (2X72 only way to go). I've looking at the AMK 77, KMG, and the Wilmont LB 1000. I know the KMG is a staple in this ring but if there are any of you using the others input would be appreciated. All have their pros and cons. I am considering the AMK BUT as far as I can tell the table does not adjust up and down for a hollow grind??

Thanks for the input in advance!

Forgot to mention I an also interested in something USED but I know how it is these are far and few between. Thanks

Comment

I too am looking for a belt grinder. I am gonna try to keep up with this thread so I can learn and read what others say.

Comment

Originally posted by MicahM View Post
        I too am looking for a belt grinder. I am gonna try to keep up with this thread so I can learn and read what others say.
        Guess it is a holiday for knife makers. KMG's web site is down quess they didn't pay their bill.

Comment

Sorry, I'm no help. I've never used a 2x72 grinder. I'm using a modified 4x36 sander to use a 2x48 belt. It works for me. I just don't have the money to drop on a "good" grinder. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
            Sorry, I'm no help. I've never used a 2x72 grinder. I'm using a modified 4x36 sander to use a 2x48 belt. It works for me. I just don't have the money to drop on a "good" grinder. lol
            Heck I dont have the cash so I decided to move out some other stuff to fund this indeavor. Just tired of using the 1" belt sander.

Comment

Here's a picture of my grinder. It ain't much but it gets the job done. Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411342592.011740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	24330946

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                Here's a picture of my grinder. It ain't much but it gets the job done. Lol

[ATTACH]653510[/ATTACH]
                That is cool, never would have thought of that configuration nice work outside the box.

Comment

If you've got the cash a Bader is the way to go! Your going to do a lot more on this machine than you think.

You can also go to USA knifemaker supply and purchase the no weld plans to building your own

Comment

Here is my heap of krap, but it gets the job done at a snails pace!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                      If you've got the cash a Bader is the way to go! Your going to do a lot more on this machine than you think.

You can also go to USA knifemaker supply and purchase the no weld plans to building your own
                      Thanks Chops, Baders are a little pricey from what iv'e seen so far and I am considering a polar bear or a complete square wheel build only have so much time in the day. Tanks

Comment

A Bader 111 is the way to go in my opinion. Many options and a HOSS of a machine. They are expensive but worth every penny. I use mine in several configurations and all work flawlessly

Comment

KMG is well recommended for a reason. Baders are also. TW-90 is the current hotrod. I hear good things about the Wilmonts. Pheer is a more recent option, been around 3 or 4 years. His design has evolved some, for the better, and his pricing is below some of the others. That said, I built a NWG.

If you can get variable speed, DO IT.
                          If not, buy the best you can afford.
                          A KMG with pulleys and a platen setup is a good starting place.

Comment

Puggy 625 what size belt is that and did you buy the arm, or all was made? thanks

Comment

I bought the Craftsman 4x36 sander from Sears. The arm was bought by a friend of mine that thought he wanted to get into making knives. He decided he didn't like the setup for some reason so I bought it from him. I made the work table that mounts on the arm. The belt is a 2x48" and it can also use a 1x42".

Here's a link to the arm conversion.

趣购彩购彩大厅登录是拥有强大互联网基础的领先AI公司。是全球为数不多的提供AI芯片、软件架构和应用程序等全栈AI技术的公司之一,被国际机构评为全球四大AI公司之一。百度以“用科技让复杂的世界更简单”为使命,坚持技术创新,致力于“成为最懂用户,并能帮助人们成长的全球顶级高科技公司”。

Comment

Working...
                              X