Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.) When I was 3 my sister found me at the bottom of the pool with my tricycle on top of me. Parents didn’t know I had figured out how to open the gate outside the pool.

2.) when I was 15 and only had my learners permit, my dad had me driving to the deer lease after a football game for practice. As we topped a hill on old Hwy 82 west of Gainesville, there was an oncoming truck passing in our lane. Somehow I swerved and missed him, but there were no shoulders so I ended up in the ditch and ended up sideways 4 separate times and somehow recovered it all 4 times until we came to a stop. After we got out we realized the driver side mirror was busted off. My dad still swears his reaction time wouldn’t have been fast enough to avoid the collision. He made me drive until we got to Muenster so I wouldn’t let it scare me off of driving altogether.

3.) At 19 I was doing some arborist work cleaning up some storm damage when the limb I was tied into gave way. I took a 20 foot unrestricted fall. It knocked me out for a good while, and I never did any of the concussion protocol I should have. My back is still jacked up from that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by newmathewsfan View Post
      November 21, 1978. I'm a senior in HS working and after school job on a farm along the Colorado river in Ballinger TX. I was unloading silage into a silo when my right pant leg got caught in the PTO shaft of the tractor I was using. wrapped me up like a string around a stick, all the way to my groin, and stalled the little tractor I was using. Couple hours later, the woman I was working for found me and called the ambulance. Ambulance got lost trying to find me (we were way out in the sticks). Long story short, finally made it to hospital in San Angelo where they amputated my right leg above the knee. 19 units of blood and 28 days later, I was discharged from the hospital in a wheelchair. I got to celebrate my 40 year anniversary last November and still don't know why God didn't take me home when he had such a good opportunity.

My cousin Jim Bob had the exact same thing happen to him. Ended up in Shannon Hospital as well I believe. PTO caught his coveralls and twisted his leg right off. Crazy.

Comment

When I was about 6-8 years old, my grandpa brought a dog home from the sale barn. It was a border collie cross. I was out in the yard with my mom and grandma petting the dog who was between my legs. All of a sudden, he turned and lunged at me. I spun around and he grabbed me on the back. He had me down and my grandma went to get him off and he turned on her. He almost chewed her thumb off as well as a lot of bites to the arms. My mom was able to get him by the collar and twisted it enough that she finally choked him to death. When we got to the hospital, I was having a hard time breathing. When it got me down, he had punctured a lung. The doctor said if I hadn't spun and ducked when he jumped at me, he would have probably got my heart. As it was, I had to spend a few days in the hospital with about 150 stitches. My grandma had more than that.
        Last edited by bullhead44; 05-14-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
          When I was about 6-8 years old, my grandpa brought a dog home from the sale barn. It was a border collie cross. I was out in the yard with my mom and grandma petting the dog who was between my legs. All of a sudden, he turned and lunged at me. I spun around and he grabbed me on the back. He had me down and my grandma went to get him off and he turned on her. He almost chewed her thumb off as well as a lot of bites to the arms. My mom was able to get him by the collar and twisted it enough that she finally choked him to death. When we got to the hospital, I was having a hard time breathing. When it got me down, he had punctured a lung. The doctor said if I hadn't spun and ducked when he jumped at me, he would have probably got my heart. As it was, I had to spend a few days in the hospital with about 150 stitches. My grandma had more than that.

Momma bear….

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            Today.
            Nope. Today.

Comment

Got thrown into the jetties at Port Mansfield. I was stuck in swells 6’ tall. I got dragged out couple hundred yards. Alcohol, no life jacket and boats don’t mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was 17 years old the year was 1988.
                I was enlisted in the Marine Corps. Me and my younger sister got into an argument before school. I slapped her for some reason. That night after school I walk in the side door of the house and Mom's waiting on me. I didn't see her. She slapped on the face. Without thinking about it I slapped her back. I was wondering why her glasses was flying across the room in slow motion. Than it dawned on me what I'd did. I turned faces to cupboard and covered my face while she pummeled my back with her fist. I've been bitten harder my mosquito. But inside it was like Thor Hukk smashing me with Mjölnir.

Comment

Hard to say which time was closer. The burst appendix I ignored for a week, fell asleep driving 65 mph and left the road, the liver transplant, or maybe one of the hundred time God cleared a path for me.

Comment

Ask my wife. I'm sure she has been close to killing me over the years!

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      Ask my wife. I'm sure she has been close to killing me over the years!
                      Met a longtime friend of the family recently. He said that the last time he was right or won an argument was over 50 years ago before he married his wife. After marriage he’s been continuously wrong about everything. She passed away but the daughter and granddaughter filled in the gap.

Comment

99% blockage in the widow maker

Comment

July 2012... was hanging a lock-on in a big pine tree with my buddy below me using a machete to clear a couple of saplings around the base of tree. Got the stand strapped to the tree and stepped out on the end of the platform to bounce a couple of times to sink the teeth into the bark... both cables snapped in half (older stand that had been left in the woods before) and I fell 25' feet without a lifeline/safety harness. Landed feet first, then butt, then back. One of the sweetgum stobs my buddy had left about 6" above the ground caught my belt loop when I hit the ground and cut me around the side of my right waistline. If I had fallen 6"-8" more inches to the right, it would've gone thru the small of my back.. herniated 3 discs in my neck and my knees are still jacked up. No broken bones.

Comment

July 2013...same lease with same buddy. He was bush hoggin a long shooting lane and I was walking behind him with a machete trimming limbs hanging out into the lane. I grabbed a limb and took a swing... unknowingly to me, I had grabbed a limb with a wasp nest on it (size of a softball) and when I tried to chop the limb down, they stung me 7 times in the face. 3 times under my left eye, once on the nose, and 3 times under my right eye. I'm highly allergic and had to be stabbed with an epi pen and rushed to the Lufkin ER where I received the proper treatment.

Comment

93' or 94'... was riding shotgun with my dad in his patrol car (officer for Nacogdoches county) and a Pilgrim's Pride feed truck was 3-4 car lengths ahead of us traveling approx. 70 mph....the truck had just been filled with feed and someone had forgotten to latch the 3'x3' stainless lid down on top of the holding tank.. the truck hit a pothole, the lid flew open and snapped the hinges off and bounced twice before dead centering the patrol car's grill just below the passenger's side of the vehicle... a few inches higher and it would've slid along the top of the hood and come into the cab where I was sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                                July 2012... was hanging a lock-on in a big pine tree with my buddy below me using a machete to clear a couple of saplings around the base of tree. Got the stand strapped to the tree and stepped out on the end of the platform to bounce a couple of times to sink the teeth into the bark... both cables snapped in half (older stand that had been left in the woods before) and I fell 25' feet without a lifeline/safety harness. Landed feet first, then butt, then back. One of the sweetgum stobs my buddy had left about 6" above the ground caught my belt loop when I hit the ground and cut me around the side of my right waistline. If I had fallen 6"-8" more inches to the right, it would've gone thru the small of my back.. herniated 3 discs in my neck and my knees are still jacked up. No broken bones.
                                Goodness that sounds painful. Amazing you had no broken bones.

Like many guys as a kid, I climbed a lot of trees. The tallest trees near my folks’ house were cedar trees. One day I got the bright idea of climbing the two tallest cedars. Being well aware that making it to the very top wasn’t possible without risk of falling, I still proceeded to climb as high as possible. The first tree was almost two trees in one with a double trunk. You might could say that by my teenage years I was a veteran tree climber.

Angels or somebody must’ve been watching from up high because after climbing up as high as possible, I began the climb down and that’s when the entire top of tree snapped and down I went. Found myself just shortly above the ground laying on my back in the middle of tree fork. Somehow no bones were broken and there was no blood loss. I got up slowly knowing that I was very lucky. There’s no doubt that escaping such a fall without serious injury isn’t normal.
                                Last edited by Katsaregood; 05-15-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X