Lake Texana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Texana

Is this a good lake to fish? It’s pretty close to my dad’s new place and his appetite for crappie has no limits.
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
    Is this a good lake to fish? It’s pretty close to my dad’s new place and his appetite for crappie has no limits.

Any insight would be appreciated.

It’s called the biggest mud hole in Texas for a reason . I know there are a lot of catfish . If you can get up in the rivers north of 59 there is good fishing .

Comment

Never fished there but it has the muddiest water I’ve ever seen.

Comment

Crappie can be decent around the Mustang creek area and the north part of the lake, but otherwise it's mostly just a muddy catfish hole. White bass can be fun to around April on the north side where the river dumps in at

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Welp, maybe we need to look elsewhere. I googled a few fishing reports and they all say the same thing.

Comment

When I was a kid, a long time ago, we caught a lot of crappie up Sandy's creek and the lavaca north of the 59 bridge. I have not fished there in many years but know people that do still catch fish there, especially catfish on jug lines.

Comment

I got a place over near there as well and have been wanting to give it a try. I keep reading its muddy stay away....but in the same comments I see the words Nice Bass, Nice Catfish, Nice Crappie, Awesome White Bass....and I'm thinking ok so its got everything Im looking for, and I'm not trying to sight cast fish. Sounds like a great live bait lake. I'm going to quite kicking the tire and give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                I got a place over near there as well and have been wanting to give it a try. I keep reading its muddy stay away....but in the same comments I see the words Nice Bass, Nice Catfish, Nice Crappie, Awesome White Bass....and I'm thinking ok so its got everything Im looking for, and I'm not trying to sight cast fish. Sounds like a great live bait lake. I'm going to quite kicking the tire and give it a shot.
                That's what my dad is hearing from some of his neighbors in Port Lavaca. I'd be nervous to run a boat in water like that with stumps anywhere and everywhere.
                I'd appreciate your feedback on what you find.

Comment

Crazy how clear that lake was when we were kids.

Comment

It was a great little fishing hole in the 80s and into the 90s. It suffers from farm land runoff and was plagued from day 1 with water clarity issues. Then water draw downs from droughts.

As stated its a good catfish lake and the upper fringes of all 3 feeders still hold a few fish bass and crappie.

Sadly after a few really large floods that literally changed the landscape the water has virtually never cleared. This resulted in a sharp drop off of recreational traffic in fishing and tournaments which resulted in the state to stop stocking the lake.

The people who manage the lake aren't concerned unfortunately as its serving the purpose it was built for....selling water.

I would drive down the road and try out colletto creek. At least it's a pretty lake to fish.
                    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

We used to wear out the crappie in that lake when I was a kid. Under the bridge near the state park in the summer, where we could stay in the shade. We also had several trees that were still standing that were always good for a bunch. It muddied up and the fishing kinda dropped off. There are lots of stumps, but the lake is usually so low they are easy to see.

Comment

Great catfishing. That's all I've ever fished for there. Watched a guy dump 5 nice largemouth bass into the catch and release pond at the Breckenridge site. He said he caught them in the Mustang Creek arm of the lake. Caught a few catfish from the bank at the Texana Campground in windy/cold conditions a few weeks ago. Going back in May to slaughter the catfish with juglines and from the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                          That's what my dad is hearing from some of his neighbors in Port Lavaca. I'd be nervous to run a boat in water like that with stumps anywhere and everywhere.
                          I'd appreciate your feedback on what you find.
                          There is plenty of open water. You just need to be extra careful on the North end of the lake. Stick to the creek/river channels. They are pretty easy to spot even in higher water.

Comment

I hunted all over that country before it was a lake.

Comment

Was one of states best in 90's when I grew up on it. It's changed, but I still know people who wear our the perch during the spring and summer months when water is at it's best clarity.

In general north of 59 bridge , or up the mustang is best bet. You don't need clear water to catch them, but when it's muddy (less than 4-6 inches of clarity) it's a no go.

Better fishing overall at Coleto for bass and crappie these days. I would suggest if you are looking for numbers it's better overall fishing.
                              Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                              X