Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw weight for a teenager

Hey Green Screen.

A friend of mine has a 13 year old son that is wanting to get into archery. His son is very curious, but a little hesitant as well. I want to setup my old PSE Rogue for him. The lowest DW it'll go is 45lbs.

He is thin built so I don't know if 45lbs is too much. My wife can't pull back 45lbs either. The fact that he's hesitant, I don't want to discourage him by giving him a bow he can't pull back.

What draw weight would you recommend for a thin 13yr old? Would a totally different bow be the way to go?

Any info would be great. Thanks

You won't know til he tries.

Comment

There’s no way to know until he tries it. I have seen 13 year olds shooting 70 lbs and 13 year olds who could barely lift a bow.

Comment

All depends on the kid. My son is kinda small and he was pulling 45lbs at thirteen, but we worked up to it. Id let him try the 45 lbs but let him know up front it may be too much. Ideally i would say start the kid out lower and develop good form then start increasing lbs as he progressed. There are lots of cheap priced youth bows around with tons of adjustments. Keep the pse in case he gets into it and needs a bigger bow in year or two. Then he can pass his youth bow on to another young hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
          All depends on the kid. My son is kinda small and he was pulling 45lbs at thirteen, but we worked up to it. Id let him try the 45 lbs but let him know up front it may be too much. Ideally i would say start the kid out lower and develop good form then start increasing lbs as he progressed. There are lots of cheap priced youth bows around with tons of adjustments. Keep the pse in case he gets into it and needs a bigger bow in year or two. Then he can pass his youth bow on to another young hunter.
          You definitely made a great point. "Form" first and foremost. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Lighter the better... 20-25lbs

Why max the kid out to start? He will learn bad habits if the weight is too heavy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy an el cheapo 40 (whatever he can handle once) or so and start pulling it, he’ll build up fast

Comment

Good points from you guys. Thanks

The PSE is what I have on hand at the moment that'll go as low 45lbs. I think a bow with lighter poundage is the way to go.

Comment

Good luck getting him setup and off to a good start! I’m considering the same question for my 14 yo who wants to start bow hunting.

Comment

Depends how much he sleeps with his hands under the covers.

Comment

What Fishndude.....Jeff said. My son was pulling 60lbs at 13 years old but he was used to shooting a bow on a fairly regular basis. Start low and have him work his way up if the poundage is too easy to pull. Kudos to you for introducing him to Archery!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X