Air compressor pressure switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air compressor pressure switch

Posting this in case anyone in the future ever has a problem with their compressor due to a likely bad pressure switch. I just finished a multi-month saga of dealing with mine, mainly due to waiting for parts and then breaking the new switch and trying to fix it, and I hopefully have some resident knowledge that might make someone else’s life easier in the future. Mine is a Lefoo type switch with a 4 port baseplate. They make these sized in all kinds of pressures, and they all operate the same way.

It was a frustrating task, (1) because I had never messed with one, and (2) there ain’t a whole lot of info online. Especially for trying to re-assemble a pressure switch after realizing you probably shouldn’t have disassembled the one you have. I was not able to diagnose what was wrong with mine, because I mistakenly took it apart before really looking at it.

Here’s a few quick hit items to be aware of:

1. The first replacement switch I bought was from an online parts dealer. Direct replacement, same part number. $44.99 plus shipping. 120-150psia Lefoo switch. Amazon had a 140-175psi switch for $17. I adjusted the settings , and it now runs at 120-150psi.

2. Take pics of the wiring before disconnecting. This will be worth its weight in cuss words later on.

3. Do NOT take the pressure switch off the baseplate. Your chances of getting it back together are basically $17 and ordering another one from Amazon.

4. You will probably need a new stem and stem nut, go ahead and order those when you order the new switch.

5. All of the other fittings can be reused. I had to clamp the broken switch down to get enough torque to the fittings to unscrew them, but I reused every other part successfully.

6. The baseplate metal is crap. I seated the emergency valve on my first attempt, and it cracked the baseplate. For my second attempt, I just wrapped the threads in way too much Teflon tape and screwed the emergency valve in most of the way. I left about two full rotations out of the threads. If you do crack the baseplate, just order another switch. It is theoretically possible to disassemble and reassemble the switch, but $17 is a much better use of your sanity.

When it comes to reassembling the fittings to the switch, you’ll figure it out but I recommend installing the switch on the stem, and then the stem onto the tank, as this will give you something to hold the switch in place as you screw in the gauges and other fittings. The wiring is going to cause colorful language, but it isn’t too bad. You will thank yourself for taking pictures of the old one, or you will kick your own *** for wishing you had.

I spent a number of hours on this project, way more than I should have and most of them trying to piece together a working switch from two broken ones. By the time I got the $17 switch from Amazon, I had messed with it enough that I got it installed, adjusted, and the compressor back running in about 30 minutes.

Glad to help if anyone ever needs it. It ain’t rocket science,but it’s the type of thing that a decent set of instructions sure woulda been nice to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun haha. Noted, thanks

Comment

Funny this has come up. I have a big Ingersol Rand in my shop. About 2 weeks ago the over pressure relief valve went off and I walked over and tried switching in off but it wouldnt so I had to turn the breaker off. I let it rest a bit and turned the breaker back on and every thing was goos. This past week I must have left the compressor on (something I don’t normally do when I leave) and the next morning I found the compressor empty and the breaker tripped. Figured during the night the compressor came on and the relief went off and the thing ran and ran until the 30 amp breaker tripped. Today while working the relief went off but I was there to turn it off. Thinking the pressure switch is the culprit. The relief is 150 psi. I’ll look at it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
        Funny this has come up. I have a big Ingersol Rand in my shop. About 2 weeks ago the over pressure relief valve went off and I walked over and tried switching in off but it wouldnt so I had to turn the breaker off. I let it rest a bit and turned the breaker back on and every thing was goos. This past week I must have left the compressor on (something I don’t normally do when I leave) and the next morning I found the compressor empty and the breaker tripped. Figured during the night the compressor came on and the relief went off and the thing ran and ran until the 30 amp breaker tripped. Today while working the relief went off but I was there to turn it off. Thinking the pressure switch is the culprit. The relief is 150 psi. I’ll look at it tomorrow.

If your switch is the same type as the one I wrestled with, it could be that dirt is preventing the contact plate from falling when the switch tries to click off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Lol!
            I hate when “simple projects” turn into nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              That sounds more like the contact points in the pressure switch have arched to the point that they are trying to weld together. Not all that uncommon on higher voltage contactors. Pull the cover off and take a peek. If there is plenty of material left, you can shut off the power and dress the contacts point with a fingernail file, emory board, or even a strip of sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Lol!
                I hate when “simple projects” turn into nightmares.
                HomeRUN on that;;;AMEN

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven’t looked at the pressure switch but from the outside it looks like one on a water well. I’ll look at it when I finished with my coffee.

Comment

I should’ve provided a pic. This is the type I have. I can also take pics of the carnage done to the first 2 if needed to explain how they are assembled and why you should not disassemble one without Buddhist monk level patience.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X