Repainting trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repainting trailers

I have 10’ and 16’ flatbed trailers. About 10 years ago, I primed them with rusty metal primer and ( don’t laugh) spray painted them with spray paint. Thinking about repainting them with Bed liner paint ( suggestions on paint welcome) there are places where the paint is still really hard, other places not so much. Should I try to grind down all the old hardened paint or reprime and paint. Don’t have a sprayer. Any suggestions welcome.

I think long term you would regret putting that bedliner stuff on a trailer.
    No matter that you do always sand or lightly grind first then prime if needed

Comment

To do any good, youll have to get it down to bare metal. Treat the metal and then spray.

Comment

I’m about to do the same to a utility trailer. I’m going to sand with a drill attachment and use rustoleum tractor implement spray paint. Probably 2 coats.

Comment

Raptor liner from Amazon

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing wrong with the spray can application for the application you have mentioned. I have done this to mine over the years. One of mine is over 25 years old. No doubt a traditional spray gun application would be better imo. Spray can paint has improved allot over the years also. And it’s only a trailer.

Comment

In the process now. Took a heavy wire brush on a grinder wheel and stripped it down. Cleaned it and wiped it down, then brushed on Majic grey primer and getting ready to brush on 2 coats of paint. $50 bucks in supplies from Tractor Supply for a 16' tandem.

Comment

Up top

Comment

I would use POR15, apply with brush. I buy at Summit Racing

Comment

The spray can enamel works the best for me, just have problems with spray cap stopping up.

Comment

spray can

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                      The spray can enamel works the best for me, just have problems with spray cap stopping up.
                      Yea i know the pain stopping up...Shake can lots before use and and during use have it warm I put in house over nite or set in sunshine.Helps

I try to use whole can if not turn can over and spray to clear nozzle..help.for future use....on some cans you can pull nozzle off and I put them in paint thinner an soak awhile and blow out and save for future use..had some success with that...Biggest problem all nozzles and brands don't interchange..

Comment

Working...
                      X