Barndo Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo Life

We have been empty nesters for 5 years or so and are getting ready to downsize. We've been rattling around in this huge house and it just no longer makes any sense. Looking at options and we both kinda like the idea of a barndominium. We have a house on acreage in the country that we intend to keep, so not looking for a big plot of dirt, maybe an acre or 2 tops.

There are several barndo build threads on here, but I'd like to hear from them that's been living in one a while. Any downsides? Stuff you'd have done differently? Whatever.

We are thinking 2500-ish square feet of living area, a self contained mother-in-law suite, garage and shop space and lots of porch space.

Let me have the good, bad and ugly, if any.

Thanks

Following

Comment

We have been in ours for 5 years now and love it! Few things we'd do differently but really no to many. We loved the stained concrete floors at first but will end up putting tile or wood floors down soon.

Comment

Following

Comment

Tagged. We are in the middle of a small barndo

Comment

We did a 60x80 Morton building with an 800 sq ft one bedroom apartment in it. My folks lived there for a year while we built their house to retire in. They were surprising comfortable after leaving a 3,000sq ft home for the barndo.

They joke that they should have just added a guest room to the barndo and saved the money on the new house.

I’d say that you’d want to make sure you do the things you would do on a custom home; quality windows, open floor plan, plenty of climate controlled storage, etc. Have at least one deep covered porch.

We put a half bath and the laundry on the outside of the living space within the shop area of the building. That was a good choice as it’s great when we have folks out hunting; restroom and laundry access for guests.

Comment

We’ve been living in our barn apartment for almost 3 years and am loving it.

Comment

Following

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                    We did a 60x80 Morton building with an 800 sq ft one bedroom apartment in it.
                    Did Morton just provide the shell/concrete? Did you have to find subcontractors for interior? I've been looking at their website quite a bit.

Comment

Good Lord! I have to ask, what do you live in now if 2500 square foot with a self contained MIL suite is your idea of downsizing for an empty nest?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        We have been in ours for 5 years now and love it! Few things we'd do differently but really no to many. We loved the stained concrete floors at first but will end up putting tile or wood floors down soon.
                        Can you share why you’re changing?

Comment

Here's a basic design we are looking to build:

Comment

We are in the finishing stages of a small barndo at our weekend property. 900sf living area 2 bedroom /2 bath with 600 sf shop.....2000sf total slab including a 10' x 50' foot porch

Not gonna live out there unless Biden hits the nuke button. The bedrooms are small but should be doable for short periods of time.

These pics might give you some ideas. We did vinyl plank flooring instead of stained concrete because I want to keep what cartilage I have left in my knees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              Can you share why you’re changing?
                              In some of the main areas we walk through kitchen entry way ext its just starting to wear a little a fade. The it just seems likes its always dusty needing to be swept/mopped. I'm sure it's because of where we live and our 2 dogs . Now the stained concrete was ALOT cheaper than the tile and we've been happy with it since we moved in. Think it cost us around 500 or so and i did it myself. Turned out great and still looks pretty good in most places.

Comment

Working...
                              X