Cutting a Propane Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting a Propane Tank

I've got a 100# propane tank I'm gonna try to build a little wood stove/heater out of. I just took the valve out of it, and I have it full of water and dish soap now.

Is there anything else I need to know or do before I cut it? I'm gonna cut it with a cutoff wheel.

I've been around propane, and propane appliances for a while, worked on a bunch....I know enough to not be scared of it, and also enough to ask if there's anything else I need to know about this....it's been a while since I blowed anything up, and I'd like for it to be a while longer

Thanks!

As a precaution video it. That way if it does blow someone else will learn from your mistake !

Comment

You are good to go !

Comment

No problem, just dump the water and torch it up.

Comment

No big issue to worry about. I have made a handful of pits out of big propane tanks and it isn't as dangerous as people say.

Comment

Leave the water in when you are cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
              this^^^^

Comment

X2

Comment

Good to go. To be overly cautious you can throw some dry ice in there or pump it full of argon. At this point, that would just be a waste of money. Then again, if you throw some dry ice in there with a little bit of water that’ll get the neighbors talking before you cut into it. :-)

Comment

Propane boils at -44 degrees. By filling the tank with water you’ve purged any vapor residue that might have still been in there. You are good to start cutting with anything you feel necessary. Like said above, it’s not as big a deal as people make it out to be. Purge it and go.

Comment

Will never work with a torch. Can't get it hot enough.

Comment

Good stuff, folks! Thank you all.

I'll update when we get started.

Comment

Just be aware of two things. 1). It will take awhile to heat as the water cools the metal. 2). When you hit a pocket of gas it will send water squirting out of the hole. I nearly pulled a Dale Gribble when he said “gentlemen, the crap has literally been scared out of me”. Other than that you should be fine.

Bud.

Comment

I've cut into lots of propane vessels. Self employed oilfield welder and fabricator for 30+ years. Fill it with water, up to the top where there is no air space. You'll have to turn the torch up a little to compensate for the heat the water will absorb. When you cut into it, especially at first, it may rumble and spit water several feet out of the filler neck. This is normal. Unless you didn't know its normal, then you have to change underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Will never work with a torch. Can't get it hot enough.
                              Yes, it will. You do have to turn up the torch, and maybe use a size larger tip if you are already using a small one. A #1 tip will cut into pretty thick water filled tanks if you turn it up..

Comment

Working...
                              X