Fridge Water Cut Off Valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge Water Cut Off Valve?

Fridge water line in my shop busted and I need to get a new one. I’ve never seen one like this. It has some sort of extra device on it. What is this, specifically, called?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6F1963B4-9CB1-4B5A-B65D-18CA0C25A41A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	25242635

You got me. Maybe a pressure regulator. If it is a filter it should be serviceable. Doesnt look like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      You got me. Maybe a pressure regulator. If it is a filter it should be serviceable. Doesnt look like it is.
      I thought maybe a filter but it sure wouldn’t filter long being that small! It literally ripped apart so I can’t service this one, whatever it is.

Comment

Shop SharkBite 3/8-in OD compression Stainless Steel Water Hammer Arrestor in the Pressure Relief Valves & Regulators department at Lowe's.com. SharkBite water hammer arrestors help to eliminate the banging noise in pipes by absorbing the pressure from sudden stops. Helps prevent damage to fixtures,

Comment

I think it’s a water hammer arrester

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
            That’s it! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post

This and it’s upside down, which means it is serving no purpose. Might as well get rid of it if there’s no way to put it right side up. They are designed to keep a “cushion” of air in the line to soften hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                This and it’s upside down, which means it is serving no purpose. Might as well get rid of it if there’s no way to put it right side up. They are designed to keep a “cushion” of air in the line to soften hammers.
                Well, the guy who plumbed my shop was a complete idiot. There’s no cutoff for the water from my main to the shop so I have to kill my house water to kill the shop water. The fridge water line comes off the inlet water to my shop water heater, between the water heater cutoff and the water heater so I was able to kill the fridge water line but it took out the water heater inlet line. Had to flip water heater breaker to keep from burning it up. Evidently this fridge water cutoff is an oddball that I can’t find at Lowe’s, HD or even the plumbing supply house so I may have to call a plumber because I don’t have a PEX crimp tool and can’t pull enough PEX to put on a shark bite cutoff. I guess it may be a good time to finally buy one. Might be cheaper than the plumber!
                Last edited by LFD2037; 02-19-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                  Well, the guy who plumbed my shop was a complete idiot. There’s no cutoff for the water from my main to the shop so I have to kill my house water to kill the shop water. The fridge water line comes off the inlet water to my shop water heater, between the water heater cutoff and the water heater so I was able to kill the fridge water line but it took out the water heater inlet line. Had to flip water heater breaker to keep from burning it up. Evidently this fridge water cutoff is an oddball that I can’t find at Lowe’s, HD or even the plumbing supply house so I may have to call a plumber because I don’t have a PEX crimp tool and can’t pull enough PEX to put on a shark bite cutoff. I guess it may be a good time to finally buy one. Might be cheaper than the plumber!

A crimp tool will definitely be cheaper than a single visit from any plumber. I have two kinds for that reason!

Comment

I fixed it. Nobody had what I needed so I combined a cutoff designed for copper, mixed parts with one made for PEX, and pieced them together to work with the jerry-rigged crap that was installed. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X