water well / pvc / pex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water well / pvc / pex

gonna have a busted well , put in heat lamp but lost power for days .. soooo..

since new homes use "pex" (not sure of spelling) which is freeze proof ... is there not a way to do the same with a well and replace the pvc with similar material ?

just wondering if the tech is out there , as i would rather re-do it again using stuff that won't crack again ...

any input appreciated

pex is not freeze proof...my understanding is it is more likely not to fail..

Comment

While I agree that PEX is less likely to freeze it can still freeze. After getting my well back on line last night, we found a pretty big leak at the PEX manifold in the wall.

Comment

You will be a lot better off using pex over pvc. There are a bunch of you tube videos on it. I had a couple lines on the outside walls freeze but they didn't bust..

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
          pex is not freeze proof...my understanding is it is more likely not to fail..
          This is my understanding. I have pex in my house for this reason. I do think it’ll still freeze.

Comment

let me correct .. i didn't mean freeze , but leak .. i'm sure it will freeze but my understanding is that it swells instead of crack

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
              This is my understanding. I have pex in my house for this reason. I do think it’ll still freeze.
              I It will freeze the same SPC but it's more pliable so it can expand a little bit without bursting like PVC will

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                let me correct .. i didn't mean freeze , but leak .. i'm sure it will freeze but my understanding is that it swells instead of crack
                Yep .
                Fittings/connections are your weak point.

Comment

I was researching pex last night. Im planning on plumbing my old house. It is less likely to burst, but they still recommend it to be insulated.

Comment

the pex pipe will expand ..but the fittings will not ..so if its gonna have a break in the line it will be at the fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      This.

And as good as a manifold sounds, I was reccomended not to put one in my shop. All the plumbers I know say that's the weakest point

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                        Thats what i was tryin to say yes it can freeze just less likely to fail

Comment

my pipe at well/ pressure tank is 1-1/4" , does Pex come that large? an yea loosk like if the fittings are brass, they will pop eventually

Comment

As said before pex IS NOT freeze proof
                            You still need to wrap and insulate it

Have a friend who left to stay at in-laws because of no power and infants at home

They came home last night to near 4” of water from busted pex

Another thing... water systems with chlorine in it... most likely not a water well but city water systems do have it... chlorine deteriorates pex piping

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                              You will be a lot better off using pex over pvc. There are a bunch of you tube videos on it. I had a couple lines on the outside walls freeze but they didn't bust..
                              Same here.

Comment

Working...
                              X