Wild Woman of The Navidad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Woman of The Navidad

I read most all of J Frank Dobie's books about Texas history years ago, and really enjoyed them. I think it was in Tales of Old Time Texas he wrote about The Wild Woman of the Navidad.

I was in eastern Lavaca Western Jackson County looking at properties yesterday and crossed the Navidad River Several times. The way I remember the story was that was the general area it took place. Many speculations about what it (they, there were several) actually was. Escaped Slaves, Unknown hidden Indians, no speculation about it being a bigfoot because that was before that 150 years before that term was even coined.

do any of yall hunt or having any places in the area that are tied to that legend?

no smart*** answers unless you want to back it up with actual pictures.

i know there are some big history buffs on here and i'm always looking for more trivia.

I have never heard the story, kind of like to hear the story.

Comment

In the early days of Texas settlement, legend says a Wildman inhabited the river bottoms of the Navidad River, near Victoria. Who was this man? Was he a man, or a cryptid? Were there others?

The think the last one was a man..................

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        I have never heard the story, kind of like to hear the story.

this is VERY condensed version of it. but if you look up J Frank Dobie, Tales of Old Time Texas you might could find the story printed on the web. all his books are worth reading. The covered in short brown hair was what caught my attention.

Comment

Never heard of the woman. Know some people with land on the Navidad that swear he was real.

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
            Never heard of the woman. Know some people with land on the Navidad that swear he was real.
            Here is some more information:

Comment

I grew up in that area. There was the legend of the "Wild Man of the Navidad" that supposedly lived in that area years ago. Never heard of the "Wild Woman"story. There is an old book called "The Cavalcade of Jackson County" in the county library that describes it.

Comment

Lived in area and fished Navidad river bottom before Lake Texana filled....Heard stories but took it a BS ,but maybe true....never saw her

Comment

Working...
                X